Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
I'm doing some initial route study for a hopeful trip to SNF, if my work schedule allows. I'm looking for recommendations for not too busy airports with on-airport restaurants, on a route from the east end of Lake Ontario to LAL. I know about KMTV - I stopped there last year for lunch both coming and going, but I'd like some other options, in case winds or weather suggest some other place for lunch. KMTV was a great lunch stop on the way down. On the way home, the restaurant was extremely busy due to the NASCAR race less than a week away.

Ideal candidates have cheap fuel, no landing fees, not too much traffic, and a good restaurant not too far from the fuel pumps. All suggestions are welcome, as I'd like to have a menu of route options to choose from in NY, PA, MD, WV, VA, NC, SC, & GA.

Ken,

Is not a long runway and its grass but you're welcome for lunch or even an overnight at 53VG. I've been told the food is pretty good.

PA - KLNS great Italian restaurant. But, may only be 1.5 hours from your home base.

WV - KLWB pretty good airport restaurant with big menu. Gas may not be a great deal, but if weather pushes you in that direction it's a good place to go.

NC, KHKY

SC, KGMU

GA, KWDR

All three have restaurants on field. HKY is best fuel price of the three.

These are in SmilingJack's neck of the woods and some even Closer to Canada.

44N Thur-Sun Sky Acres NY- Perfect Landings (914) 456-2701
GFL Glenn Falls NY- Carols (518) 761-4043
WBW Wilkes Barre (PA) Valley- Colonial Pancake House (570) 287-2462
N30 Cherry Ridge Airport (Honesdale, PA)- Airport Caf? (570) 253-5517
N40 Pittstown- Sky Manor (908) 996-3442
1N7 Blairstown, NJ- Runway Caf? (908) 362-9170
PTW Pottstown, PA- Airport Rest (610) 495-7626
BID Block Island, RI- Bethany's Airport Diner (401) 466-3100
MTP Montauk, NY- Rick Crabby Cowboy Caf? (631) 668-3200
PVD Providence, RI- Bobby J's (401) 732-2727
EWB New Bedford, MA Airport Grill (508) 994-7455
1B6 Hope Dale, MA- Landing Strip Caf? (508) 478-2199
6B6 Stow, MA (Minute Man) Nancy's Caf? (978) 897-3934
3B0 Southbride, MA- Jim's Flying Diner (508) 765-7100
IJD Willimatic, CT (Windham) NE Pizza & Rest (860) 456-8770
FIT Fitchburg MA- Gene Collette Rest (978) 345-1580
FOK Westhampton Beach L.I.- Caf? @Malloy (631) 288-2919
N45 Wallkill NY (Kobelt) NU- CAVU Caf? (845) 895-9000 (CHEAP FUEL)

In NC, right on your way....

If you are looking for some of the best Bar-B-Q in the south drop into 5NC3. It's listed as a private airport but the owner opens it up for anyone. No need to call. The Pik-n-Pig restaurant is on the field and you can park at the back door. Fuel available too.
Freq is 122.9.

pik-n-pig in NC

Like Smokey said...hard to beat their BBQ....no fuel there, but plenty of close places to stop for fuel. Usually a big group of planes,and great outdoor seating. Google images of Gilliam-McConell airport and you will see the place.

If you are heading down the East side of Washington DC you'll want to consider one of my favorites in Cambridge, KCGE on the Eastern Shore (East side of the Chesapeake Bay). Some other favorites are Georgetown, DE KGED and a couple within a very short walking distance choices at Smoketown, PA S37.

Smokey mentioned 5NC3 in NC. Worth a food stop if it works into your route.

I'd have to mention LBT Lumberton, NC too. Cheapest gas I could find. 2 LARGE runways. Not much traffic, no landing fee and a very nice FREE crew car for a SHORT drive to grab a bite to eat.

TGI Tangier Island, very near to Glen's 53VG, has very good crab bisque but you have to walk about 5 minutes. Not sure about fuel. It is definately an "interesting" place to visit. Probably wouldn't want to live there though.

If you'd like to compare Carolina (not Texas) barbeque styles, after you stop off with Smokey, drop in to 3J1 in southern South Carolina. Happy to meet you and take you over to our local BBQ restaurant (goes by the very accurate name of "Best BBQ Restaurant"). May not be very imaginative but the BBQ and vegetable line buffet is the best anyone around here has ever had.

I'm headed down to Zephyrhills on Thursday morning. Let me know if any of that fits your plans.