jmk

Earlier in the wing construction I drilled the outboard rib tooling hole (aft) for insertion of a plastic grommet. Now that I'm starting to install the aileron I have found that this hole was to be used to aid in the alignment of the ailerons. I've tried to use the center of the drilled and undrilled holes but with the pushrod adjusted to the length called out on the drawing that measurement appears to be too short. Any suggestions?

jmk

Give this a try:

Turn a piece of dowel down to fit in the enlarged tooling hole and then put a hole in the center of the dowel for the alignment tool.

You should be able to turn the dowel in your drill press.

BTW, the picture in my signature was taken as we left 3BS on Easter weekend.

Thanks, but I'm not sure that the larger hole's center is the same as the original. If I knew what the original measurement from the top or bottom was I could simply put a centerline mark across the hole and place a straight edge across the center of both holes.

jmk

Tooling Holes

Tooling hole on aft end of the outboard rib is 1 1/16" from the aft end and 1 11/16" from the bottom edge (both measurements from center of hole to outside edge of flange/skin contact. Bottom measurement centers on notch.

Good luck,
Mike

Last edited:
Does that alignment tool result in a "final" position? I'm only a couple of months ahead of where you are, so I guess I'm really asking for us both...

Seems to me there will be some final adjusting once the wings are mounted and final rigging takes place. Any "been there, done that"'s out there?

Joe

................Now that I'm starting to install the aileron I have found that this hole was to be used to aid in the alignment of the ailerons.......Any suggestions?jmk
Aileron alignment shouldn't be too much of a biggie to establish. Earlier kits required the builder the fabricate a large contour board which was a full size outline of a wing cross section. It was drawn with a magic marker on the bottom of the shipping crate. It had to be cut out and fashioned into a workable part. A cumbersome process, the newer tooling hole trick is a much easier technique to work with. Still, I'm not sure that establishing the absolute precise center of your now rounded out tooling hole is really going to be all that critical. In the end, you want the trailing edge of the wingtip, aileron, and flap to be in alignment with one another when the aileron is in the neutral position and the flap is up. There are any number of ways to approach the task. For instance, here's something I did. Not easily seen in the photos, there is a string taped to the floor and 3 plumb bobs are draped over the trailing edges and in contact with it thus assuring overall "straightness."

I suggest you use the known measurements of an unaltered tooling hole to proceed.

Last edited:
Earlier in the wing construction I drilled the outboard rib tooling hole (aft) for insertion of a plastic grommet. Now that I'm starting to install the aileron I have found that this hole was to be used to aid in the alignment of the ailerons. I've tried to use the center of the drilled and undrilled holes but with the pushrod adjusted to the length called out on the drawing that measurement appears to be too short. Any suggestions?
I don't know if the pushrod lengths on the plans have changed or not since when I did mine. I found that I needed to adjust the pushrod lengths a bit to get the aileron neutral position and travel correct.

You may have to fiddle with the lengths of the long and short pushrods to get the correct balance between up and down travel (in other words, the angle of the bellcrank when the aileron is neutral may have to be fudged from the nominal position).

Bottom line - the pushrod lengths are not the driver here - they will need to be whatever it takes to make things work out. The important thing is that the aileron be located in line with the rest of the airfoil - then you figure out what pushrod lengths you need to put the stick vertical with the ailerons in neutral and also have the correct up and down travel.

Thanks to all who have responded. I used the measurments provided and have moved on to the flap alignment. All looks good. Thanks to DR for providing a means to get questions like mine answered.

jmk