rjcthree

Well Known Member
How does one go about asking for a tech councilor to go over your work? I've closed on wing, inboard skinned the second, and would like a second set of educated eyes over my work. I'm in the NE Ohio/Cleveland area. I'd even be interested in other builder's thoughts.
How did everybody else do it?

Rick 90432

I am assuming you are a member of the EAA. If so, go to their website (eaa.org) log in and find the Tech Councilor section and search on Ohio. The link is at the top of the Members opening page, third selection down. There should be several in your area.

Bob Kelly

Join your friendly local EAA chapter...

Most EAA chapters have tech counselors who will come out and look over your project (no charge). They will do an official write-up and give you a copy to keep with your builders log, and a copy goes to the EAA as well.

There is an Ohio Valley RVators group Yahoo list:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OhioValleyRVators/?yguid=192696358
and I'm sure they can point you toward a chapter in your area, and plenty of other builders as well.

Where do you live in the Cleveland area? That's where I grew up (west side of Cleveland, and Lakewood). I haven't lived there since '69, but I've got lots of family in the area.

However, ask around locally about the TCs before you ask one to visit your project. I had never riveted before I started on my kit but I had an IA teach me. I had the inevitable dings and was reassured that they were alright. I proceeded largely without help until I finally got the project to a hangar at Flagstaff. At that point, my project was visited by the local pilot community, including A&Ps, who expressed admiration for the project. Still, I wanted a TC visit for that piece of paper (though I am since told that the insurance break is a thing of the past). So I call the nearest, from a town 30 miles away.

He charges me $50 for the trip, reasonable enough for gas and trouble. When he arrives he is somehow under the impression that I want him to design a panel for me. When this misunderstanding is cleared up, he looks over my work and immediately focuses on a riveting ding. I am told I will have to cut the skin around the rivet and install a circular patch. Why have I not completely finished each structure before continuing to the next? (I had not finished the glass work on the empennage or wings; I couldn't do the latter until I was ready to install the lights.) Frankly, I shouldn't be building an airplane...

I was in shock. The next day he called and said he wanted to discuss the inspection so, thinking maybe he had reconsidered, I drove to his town where he sat me down and reiterated that I should give up the project. "Dump it on Trade-a-Plane." "But, if it's that bad, would it be ethical to sell it to someone else?" Well, maybe I could get a bit of my money back.

I checked with some of the people at the airport and got the scoop. This guy was a grand old gentleman who had been in aviation forever. He truly had a long history in the field as both a pilot and mechanic. But he was also somewhat of a 'character' and old age (95) had left him even more eccentric. The consensus was that he would probably have offered to take the project off my hands had I not sought second opinion, thereby getting himself a new toy at a bargain price.

I subsequently had a couple of A&Ps look my project over - my riveting will not win any prizes but the aircraft is safe. A DAR even looked at it, unofficially, when he came to inspect a friend's Lancair propjet and said he didn't see any problems. I found out that most of the locals already knew about this TC and would have warned me had I asked first. So, ask around. Not all TCs are competent and not all have experience with RVs. If you are doing anything unusual, like an auto-engine conversion, ask if they have experience with such or be prepared to look farther for advice.

tec counsilors

Just my 2 cents worth. try to find a tec that knows sheetmetal. I had one over and was a little diapointed in his knowledge. A friend of mine that is a IA looked my 7A over. The tec is having trouble getting his plane done??
Nice to have someone that has experience.

Don't throw anything at me for this but I have probably the best possible environment to be building my RV-7A in. My hangar mate and building partner has been flying his RV-7 for a year and a half now. He is also one of our EAA Chapter's Technical Counselors. He can't sign off inspections on projects he helps build but I get his knowledge and experience.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, just a couple of months to go.

Rick,

I would like to view your project, I am also at about the same stage of construction with my 9. I am in Sullivan, OH, 25 miles South of Elyria, about 1 hour from you.

Joe

He charges me $50 for the trip, reasonable enough for gas and trouble. I am told I will have to cut the skin around the rivet and install a circular patch. Frankly, I shouldn't be building an airplane...
I subsequently had a couple of A&Ps look my project over - my riveting will not win any prizes but the aircraft is safe. A DAR even looked at it, unofficially, when he came to inspect a friend's Lancair propjet and said he didn't see any problems. I found out that most of the locals already knew about this TC and would have warned me had I asked first.
If you run into a TC this bad, please report him to EAA Headquarters. We don't need this kind of help. I have been a TC since the mid eighties and have only run across 1 project that was really bad. I called in another TC for consultation. We eventually saved the project by working with the gentleman through an extensive rework plan.
BTW, our TCs usually charge $20 if anything for travel if it's really out of the way.

Last edited:
Still, I wanted a TC visit for that piece of paper (though I am since told that the insurance break is a thing of the past).
Falcon gave me a discount for using the TC's, the Flight Advisors, EAA membership, and AOPA membership.

Our TA's don't charge a thing. I couldn't even buy them lunch. All they asked for was a ride once it was flying.

In the Charlotte area, you don't even have to be a chapter or EAA member, our TA's are simply interested in you being safe.

Prior to my first flight, I had four TA's inspect my plane at different times as I didn't want one to influence the others, thus missing something important. Then there was the pack of RV Builders/fliers who also looked it over...

One thing to remember, check your ego at the door when the TA comes to look over your project. Any suggestions they make are for your own good.

He charges me $50 for the trip,

Most TC's don't charge anything as it is intended to be a volunteer group.

It is good form to offer to pay them something for the trouble or buy them lunch but my experience is that they do it for the love of doing it not for money.

If you run into a TC this bad, please report him to EAA Headquarters. We don't need this kind of help. I have been a TC since the mid eighties and have only run across 1 project that was really bad. I called in another TC for consultation. We eventually saved the project by working with the gentleman through an extensive rework plan.
BTW, our TCs usually charge $20 if anything for travel if it's really out of the way.

I agree with Mel. If you run into a bad TC, please report them to the EAA.
I don't charge for any local visit. I enjoy helping others getting started with the building process. It's my way of paying back to others who have helped me along the way. As a TC, we are required to accrue points to maintain our TC position
BTW, I'm still getting help from many although they may not be an official TC.