txaviator

Well Known Member
Sorry for the dumb question.....

When you find a local EAA Tech Counselor, what is the general protocol for their services? Are they typically paid hourly? Do they perform the inspections as a favor to members? How does it all work in your situation?

I just joined the EAA tonight (literally, about 30-minutes ago), and the meeting got a little out of hand with various old-time members arguing with one another. The hottest topic of their arguments? How to ensure correct spelllings of Young Eagles' names on their certificates! :confused: Seriously, that argument raged on for about 20-minutes! Needless to say, I never had a good chance to raise my hand and ask about the tech counselors, and how it all worked.

Can anyone offer their advice? Thanks!

I learned the name of a local tech counsler from my chapter and asked him to review my project. He visited my home at the appointed time and reviewed my written builder's log, my builder's photo album, and my project itself. He asked questions, made comments, made a project review entry in my builder's log and submitted a report to the EAA headquarters where an independent record is maintained. If you obtain the three required tech councelor reviews a preferred insurance rate is assured with Falcon Insurance. The reviews are not inspections and they were EAA members helping members with no money changing hands in my case. I got the three reviews but did not take advantage of the insurance deal. In my case the reviews were not valuable but I'm sure they have saved property, airplanes and lives since the program started.

Last edited:
My tech counsler is a neighbor (next door). He doesn't charge anything (I think this was supposed to be a voluntary thing). I'm sure someone will correct me IMMEDIATELY if I'm wrong.
I've seen the arguments like Gary talked about more than once at meetings. It doesn't happen all the time. Hang in there & don't get depressed.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 wings

Beer, money, or ride?

txaviator said:
When you find a local EAA Tech Counselor, what is the general protocol for their services? ............ How does it all work in your situation?

.................. and the meeting got a little out of hand with various old-time members arguing with one another. The hottest topic of their arguments? How to ensure correct spelllings of Young Eagles' names on their certificates!

Can anyone offer their advice? Thanks!

It sounds like you just joined my Chapter! Things do get heated from time to time, and the Young Eagle "Mafia" are a large and vocal presence within our Chapter. Technical Counselor visits are a voluntary thing and the EAA has done a fantastic job of promoting the concept. But sometimes there is more sizzle than steak to the experience. In my case, 2 of the 3 visits proved dubious at best because both were documented by a Lancair builder and a WW1 replica builder. The well intentioned TC's knew very little about sheet metal work. But these volunbteers were the only available TC's that were members of our Chapter at the time. Try to find a TC well versed in sheet metal. Broadly speaking, and there may be exceptions, having built an airplane is the major qualification to satisfy the EAA's requirements to become a TC. In any event, compensation can range from a promise of a future ride, a 6-pack of beer or whatever cash amount you feel comfortable with. Its best to simply ask a potential TC what his expectations are but you'll likely find most to be extremely generous.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla" EAA Chapter 32

The tech counselor program is strictly volunteer. If you want to offer the TC a few dollars for gas or maybe a meal, he will appreciate it but it is not necessary. The minimum number of TC visits for insurance discounts is 3. However, I like to do at least 5 per project. By the way, your Airworthiness Inspector will also be interested in seeing evidence of TC visits. If you can't find an experienced tech counselor, an A&P or other experienced builder can be substituted. The main goal is to get other knowledgable eyes on your project. Hope this helps.
Mel...DAR...TC since 1985.

Last edited:
You can locate a local Tech counselor on the EAA Members Only web site. They have a listing of Tech counselors & Flight Advisors.

Derrell

I am a tech counselor and have been since the inception of the program. I can't even remember how many projects I have looked at (I could look up my files, but why?) You can find a list on the EAA Home under Tech Counselor for your state and location. The most I ever received for my services is a cold piece of Pizza, left over from the night before. Not a problem I don't expect to be paid, I do it as a service to my fellow builders. Most of the time I find only small items, bolt wrong size, bolt pointing in wrong direction, items not attached, etc. Could it cause a problem in the future, I don't know, but what I do know is its best to have as many eyes as possible look your work over. Even the best of builders miss things from time to time, thats why they are called accidents. Welcome to the world of Homebuilding.... if you do complete your own airplane and fly it you will never forget the experience...... Gary RV-6 (almost 10 years old) Sunny Pittsburgh, Pa. :)