MartySantic

Well Known Member
EAA/SportAir LSA Inspection Rating Course

Friday, Saturday and today (Sunday) I attended the 16 hour EAA/Sportair LSA Inspection rating course at the EAA museum in Oshkosh. John Bender also attended. The 16 hour course is required if you (the owner) wish to perform the condition inspection (annual) on your RV-12. WE BOTH PASSED! The course concluded with a 50 question exam w/ a required grade of 80%. If you DO NOT attend this 16 hour class, you MUST have an A&P perform the annual.

Our 1st condition inspection will not be required for a while, but, the information we were exposed to will be very beneficial during the remainder of the build process.

I rated the course as EXCELLENT. The instructor, Byron Greenlaw, was very well versed with respect to the subject matter. He made the course extremely interesting. His many years experience as an A&P/IA showed as he related many of his experiences through-out the years and integrated this experience with the subject matter.

Once the Certificate of Aircraft Registration and the Airworthiness certificate is received for our RV-12s, both of us have satisfied ALL of the requirements and can apply for the repairman certificate.

Last edited:
Friday, Saturday and today (Sunday) I attended the 16 hour EAA/Sportair LSA Inspection rating course at the EAA museum in Oshkosh. John Bender also attended. The 16 hour course is required if you (the owner) wish to perform the condition inspection (annual) on your RV-12. WE BOTH PASSED! The course concluded with a 50 question exam w/ a required grade of 80%. If you DO NOT attend this 16 hour class, you MUST have an A&P perform the annual.

Our 1st condition inspection will not be required for a while, but, the information we were exposed to will be very beneficial during the remainder of the build process.

I rated the course as EXCELLENT. The instructor, Byron Greenlaw, was very well versed with respect to the subject matter. He made the course extremely interesting. His many years experience as an A&P/IA showed as he related many of his experiences through-out the years and integrated this experience with the subject matter.

Once the Certificate of Aircraft Registration and the Airworthiness certificate is received for our RV-12s, both of us have satisfied ALL of the requirements and can apply for the repairman certificate.

....and the beauty is...you can now forever get a repairman certificate for any ELSA you ever own.

Very cool Marty. Those of you who live in the midwest are fortunate to be able to have access to events at OSH. I would love to attend such a class while I am still building. Are they held at other places?

E-LSA Course

These courses are held in other locations. I took the class last year in Arlington, Washington (north of Seattle). I licensed my Kitfox as an E-LSA last year, under the temporary program for transitioning existing 'fat ultralights' to E-SLA. The E-LSA category addresses many issues of owning and operating in a positive way.