Guy Prevost

Well Known Member
I just learned a few things complements of EAA and thought I would pass them on. I was glancing over the latest issue of the EAA Experimenter in my email. In the past I had written off the building tip videos they routinely produce as not being terribly useful--after all, I'm a builder with a complete and reliable RV as well as a mechanical engineer specializing in aero-structures--what could I learn from an EAA video for noobs? As it turns out, quite a bit! The video that caught my eye really didn't contain any new information for me, but the links below certainly did. I learned a bit more about the crush washers that go in the oil screen that I didn't know i had for the first year of flight. I learned about DIY Hydroforming! :D Basically, I was trapped watching videos for an hour or so and know more about maintaining my RV now. Very Cool!

On a related note despite the recent mumbling about how terrible Sport Aviation is, I really enjoyed the article about the $3M TBM. I love all airplanes and think that would be neat if I had the mission and the funds to justify such a machine next to the RV. I also read about a family and how they are using an airplane project as a way to spend quality and educational time together--there's a photo of a 3 year old girl hammering a rib around a form; How cool is that!?!

On the very next page there's an article about an RV-8, it's usefulness as a time machine, and it's ability to create wonderful memories within the context of a 43 year marriage. Again, I think that's cool. I intend to follow suit. Jane Plane, our RV, is woven into the structure of my wife's and my relationship. The memories shared and character built will likely long outlast any of the aluminum.

There are articles about cool old helicopters, scratch built cub knockoffs in which many of the parts were scrounged or traded, and on and on. It seems very grass roots to me. I certainly didn't scrounge to that level on my project.

I guess when it comes down to it, I don't see a problem with EAA having both depth and breadth. As much fun as it is to be cliquish and exclusionary, I'm not sure it buys pilots in general and almighty RV pilots in particular a single thing.

Hopefully this post doesn't blow up. Please don't start an argument based on my sleep deprived ravings. I just enjoy aviation, RVs, and EAA and wanted to spread some of that joy.

Guy

Last edited:
Gonna be a popcorn post, for sure :)

I totally agree with you. In fact since the new magazine design came out I have had a tough time making it thru the content in a month. Granted, I have a day job, but point is that there is a ton of stuff in there -- and in those videos!

And I've said it before, but I first attended "Oshkosh" back in Rockford. Was commercialized then too, so all the whining about "too commercial" is an old tradition.

Mike
EAA lifetime member