blueflyer

Well Known Member
In this EAA video, the presenter says he washes the filter in a "solvent" to wash any particles off the filter (at the 6:10 mark). But he doesnt say what the solvent is. Can anyone tell me what solvent to use here?

Also, at the 7:25 mark, he says, "In a different segment, I will go over how to identify the particles that are washed out of the filter with the solvent." I cant find that segment. Anyone found that video?

http://bcove.me/q5z8lksm

Last edited:
In this EAA video, the presenter says he washes the filter in a "solvent" to wash any particles off the filter (at the 6:10 mark). But he doesnt say what the solvent is. Can anyone tell me what solvent to use here?

Also, at the 7:25 mark, he says in a different segment, he will go over how to identify the particles that are washed out of the filter with the solvent. I cant find that segment. Anyone found that video?

http://bcove.me/q5z8lksm

Mineral spirits!

AVGAS

100LL also works well for rinsing filter media.

Cheers,

Vac

My procedure is a little different. I followed an industrial process at a famous engine lab with over a hundred dynos. After removal of the paper, lay it on 6 layers of folded shop towels with the inlet side up, then take some mineral spirits and wet down the element on top. It won't take much to wet, don't wash it, just let it absorb. Then lay one towel on top and a weight along the full length to press the pleats into contact with the 6 layers below. Leave it or 30 min or so. The 6 layers will wick oil and solvent from the filter paper and it can be handled easily for inspection. It will be relatively dry. Take a strong magnet and move on the clean side while looking at the dirty side in bright light. This if it sparkles, then there is ferrous material present. Individual specs of debris are usually stuck to the paper.

The shaker method is interesting, but will use more solvent. Now you have other methods to choose from.

The first oil change cleanliness of the filter tells me how good the builder is. My GM crate engine had metal for first three oil changes - terrible build cleanliness.

I used to wash out my early filters, but I would always end up with some very fine particles and wasn't sure about what to do next. All of the trusted mechanics on the field would look at them and tell they are just normal wear. After a while I just got tired of this messy process and decided to cut open the filters and remove the pleated material and just inspect it under a bright light/sun light.

Now where there is a big difference for me from most others is I have an H2AD engine and I can remove my lifters at annual and inspect my cam for wear. This is why I don't worry about the fine particles cause I can look at the major wear component every year and check for damage. After 500 hours of flying it is still looking good.

Blackstone Labs Reference.

I was checking my auto filters yesterday and found some flakes. I looked for a document on materials, and found this from Blackstone Labs they put the filter in a coffee can and shake too!

It is for our aircraft engines and is pretty good for analyzing the things we find.

Back to my issue - I looked under a microscope, then put the chips into some MEK, and they MELTED! They were apparently paint flakes !! I removed and restored my cam covers a while back, so these must have come from that process.

Last edited:
Bill, that is another outstanding link to that Blackstone document. You have really been helpful. Thank you.

Bill - much cleaner and easier than other ways for sure. I am going to give it a try. Thanks.

Back to my issue - I looked under a microscope, then put the chips into some MEK, and they MELTED! They were apparently paint flakes !! I removed and restored my cam covers a while back, so these must have come from that process.

No matter how hard I try, I think I get about half a dozen white paint flakes the size of a pin head. I am pretty sure they are coming from the filter can itself when I cut it open (with a filter cutter).

No matter how hard I try, I think I get about half a dozen white paint flakes the size of a pin head. I am pretty sure they are coming from the filter can itself when I cut it open (with a filter cutter).

I get that too. wish the paint wouldnt flake off during cutting. Maybe next time i"ll try to knock off the paint with my polish wheel or something.