pmccoy

Well Known Member

Back in the beginning of my RV9A project I attended an EAA workshop on RV assembly. That really helped to boost my confidence and give me some experience before I started bucking rivets. A couple of weekends ago I got my feet wet with electrical wiring from another EAA workshop. The photo above was taken as our instructor, Kas Osterbuhr, was going over an electrical diagram from a Lancair project he had worked on. I don?t have any experience with electrical wiring, and the book from Bob Nuckolls is really hard to read and understand. So I signed up for this course. I?m glad I did! I learn better if someone shows me how to do something first. In class we were shown proper techniques for soldering wire. We also crimped Molex, Coax, D-Sub connectors and made a couple of practice projects to test out our new skills. It was a blast. I highly recommend this class for anyone that feels their wiring project is a bit overwhelming. It?s good to get some hands on experience before working on the plane

Our class hard at work. Flabob airport, October 4 & 5 2008

Project #1 - A wiring harness for a headset and intercom.

Project #2 - A simple light box with a switch, fuse and dimmer.

Ditto

I took Ken's class in Watsonville and had a great experience as well. His tool recommendations were very useful. The hands on experience was great. I have had no trouble wiring thus far. I've powered up many circuits and no smoke!

-rob
RV-9A finishing