Hi,

I just ruined my second E615 trim access reinforcement plate. The #6 screw dimples are awful close to the edge that I got cracks in two of the dimples. I removed a minimum of material when deburring the inside edge yet the dimple is well over the edge. All I can think of is that the pneumatic squeezer must have been set too tight and I over dimpled them. I will hand squeeze the third when it arrives.

These dimples receive the dimples of the E616 cover plate and has nut plates on the backside of the dimple.

Am I missing something? The same piece for the right elevator looks the same but no cracks that I can see with the naked eye.

Any insight is appreciated.

Bill

PS It says I may not post attachments. Otherwise I would have put a pic. Maybe it is time to make a donation????

Hey Bill,

Hope you're doing well. It's been awhile since we last spoke. Our progress still seems to be mirroring each other. :D

I've been priming before dimpling, and I'm right in the middle of dimpling. I just went out and dimpled mine by hand (DRDT-2). Armed with your findings, I was careful, but I didn't have any issues.

Which dimple dies are you using? I am using the Avery dies.

On a side note, when are you coming to Houston again? We'll get you by the house to check out the project. Dave Murphy (Continental guy) is building a 10 here in Kingwood too. We're building close to the same schedule also.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Yeah, long time no chat. Progressing pretty well. Overall happy with my work thus far. You learn so much as you go that I have a tendency to want to go back and redo things but I know I'll never finish if I do. A couple blemishes here and there but no major problems. When I used to work for my uncle, a carpenter, and made a mistake he would say "putty and paint makes a carpenter out of one who ain't". The same will have to apply to the small oops I make.

I must have over squeezed them. I have Cleaveland dies and don't think they are the problem. I haven't had any problems with the others and the #6 worked fine in the mating piece where edge clearance is no issue. I am going to email vans to see what they think but I am pretty sure that if I am less aggressive I will be OK.

I will be in the sim on the 17th of June. I will fly down on the 16th. I don't know what time my sim is yet but if I get in early enough on the 16th maybe I can have you pick me up. More than likely I will be staying in the Marriott right at Bush.

I will let you know when I know.

Thanks for the offer,

Bill