Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Anybody out there using one of these readers???

The low price is calling me..........

I am considering getting one for aviation use------charts, and downloading flight info stuff from the home comp.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks in advance.

e-reader

I bought my wife a Kindle for Christmas. Don't know if she'll like it but if
she doesn't, I might try to use it for check lists.

I think the Kobo might be a better choice for this because I think it reads more format types.

Dave

Well....

If you don't want to spring for an iPad, you could go with one of these.
The spec. say that you can store .pdf file, that would be a requirement for me. On my iPad I store all the .pdf version of the avionics manuals. ".txt, .rtf, and .doc files are not currently supported."
I also store my charts, but that is another app.

The 1Gb of storage should be enough as all my manuals only amount to 100MB.

Kent

Last edited:
You might want to have reading glasses with you.
The whole device is only 7.2" x 4.7", and the display is only 4.5" x 3".
Even with the large screen on my iPad, I still have trouble reading some of the numbers on the approach plates.

I have an e-ink based reader that I use for reading books and I can definitely say the visual clarity is pretty good. Also, the screen has a matte finish so there's no reflective glare which would be a plus in the cockpit. The only negative that I've found is that it's a little slow. e-ink technology doesn't have quite the refresh rate of LCD so you can't expect fast and smooth zooming, panning, page turning, etc...

e-ink readers only use power to change the screen and not to maintain it so the battery life is phenomenal compared to any LCD based device.

Cheers,