Cfrisella

Well Known Member
I just received my engine today but waiting for the emag. Few questions.
1) Can I use the plug harness wires shipped on the regular mags without any modifications?
2) Should I mount the emag on the right side?
3) Will I need to get a gear or anything else?
Mounting to a new teledyne IO-360. Thanks

1. Not if you are using auto plugs, not sure if using aircraft plugs, but I doubt it. They sell a wire kit that is specifically designed for the higher voltages of the E-Mag. I like auto plugs, but that's your call, of course.
2. The right side is best if you have an impulse mag on the left. That way you will have all plugs firing when you hit the starter. I used this configuration for over 100 hours on my O-320.
3. You can remove the drive gear from your right mag, if you have one. If not, E-Mag sells one.

You will like the combination, and by my experience, you get about 75% of the benefit that you would get if you had another P-Mag on the left also.

Even if you are going to use the aviation plugs, you will need to make a new harness as the wires plug into the Emag just like an automotive distributer.

You are better off with auto plugs because you can have a larger gap, providing a larger spark to light the fuel-air mixture.

About the only advantage to having the impulse magneto is so you can hand prop it. Even then, I doubt you would want to fly on one ignition. Had you purchased the Pmag, you could hand prop it on the magneto and then still fly as the Pmag will self power above 800 RPM.

The E/Pmags have a ?shower of sparks? feature for the first few revolutions to aid in starting.