pilot28906

Well Known Member
I know almost nothing about EI so I have a couple basic questions. Can EI be used with a carbed engine? I think I will go with the ECI kit engine when the time comes so I am wondering what is the price difference between an EI set up vs two magnetos? Thanks in advance for any input.

Can't give you an answer on the cost, but yes, you can use ei on carbed engines. In fact, my E-Mag/P-mag combination works great on my O-320. Check the E-Mag website for their costs. Maybe try Spruce for mags.

Bob Kelly

Thanks for the carb info. The price looks to be $800 or so more for emag/pmag vs slick mangetos; of course this does not include any accesories.

Will the carbed engine see lower fuel burn with the EI as well?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the carb info. The price looks to be $800 or so more for emag/pmag vs slick mangetos; of course this does not include any accesories.

Will the carbed engine see lower fuel burn with the EI as well?

Thanks again.

Yes, you will see lower fuel burns or more power, your choice.

As for the costs, check the price of aviation plugs, the harness, and 500 hour overhauls.
With the E/P-mags you can run auto plugs ($17 for 8 vs $20 for one) and you can make your own harness. Also, there is no 500 hour overhaul.

As a follow-up, I saved 1 gph when I went to an E-Mag, another .2 gph when I added the second P-Mag. I also gained about 5 mph at 8000'. Also MUCH smoother idle/easier starting. There are many threads on this, so search them out. DO note the dates as there were some problems with E/P-Mags a couple years ago. All in the past, or so it seems.

Bob Kelly

Thanks again for the added info. I't seems that emag/pmag is one of those "a lot of bang for the bucks" items that makes a lot of sense to use.

Mine works great

Total is about 350hrs on the airplane with E/P mag and O320. No negative issues whatsoever operationally.

Also, I'm able to aggressively run LOP and the engine runs smooth and cool.

I wouldn't think of going to regular mags.

Not tremendously scientific, but here is some anecdotal data:

Yesterday KRHV-to-KHHR we averaged about 7.6 GPH takeoff to touchdown. Hours were GPS flight time.
Cruising altitude 11,500.
KTAS~152
2700 RPM
18.5" MP
1C OAT

Not at all record breaking, but I'm happy with it. Typically its a bit better, but that route requires some low altitude cruise in the LAX special flight rules area that buggers the fuel burn average.

At mid teen altitudes my fuel burn typically averages under 6GPH takeoff to touchdown with 150 KTAS cruise speeds.

My prop is optimized for 19,500 density altitude, so I get low 150s cruise speed at 2700 RPM from sea level up to that 19,500 DA.

If I were building the airplane or if I keep it long enough for an engine rebuild I would prefer to have an injected engine. I would expect better fuel economy due to better balance between cylinders.

Sometimes I wish for a lightweight CS prop, but so far not enough to actually get one.

You can have cylinders on a carbed engine ported and flow matched for more equal fuel burn