ctbecker

Well Known Member
Can someone explain the difference between E-Glass, S2 Glass and S-Glass and then answer the question: Which one is the right one for my 8A project

Charlie Becker
N464CB(r) 8A
Finishing

S-glass is a stiffer, higher strength version of E-glass. Not needed for an RV. There is no structural fiberglass on an RV. It is all cosmetics (even the cowl -does not carry a load).
Your typical Rutan 7725 BID will work for almost all applications on an RV.

gpiney said:
S-glass is a stiffer, higher strength version of E-glass. Not needed for an RV. There is no structural fiberglass on an RV. It is all cosmetics (even the cowl -does not carry a load).
Your typical Rutan 7725 BID will work for almost all applications on an RV.

Another reason not to use the S-glass on the RV fiberglass - the stiffness makes layups difficult. Stay with the cheap stuff.

Most of the time I've worked with S-glass, and it is much more difficult to work with around complex curves and stuff, but the benefit sets in with better structural rigidity. Not necessary, but I've got 18yards of the S-glass bid in the shop right now, and all I'm doing with it right now is making a foam-core box... yeah overkill.

Conclusion, if you don't mind the extra work and difficulty, s-glass is better. If you just want to get through your fiberglass work and on to flying, e-glass is perfectly acceptable.