olderthandirt

Well Known Member
Sometimes you run into really nice people, this being the case yesterday talking to Dynon Tech Michael Schofield. Just when I though most company's stopped having customer service I had pleasure of Michael's help..which saved me lots of money and headaches...thanks Michael

Really surprising...

Sometimes you run into really nice people, this being the case yesterday talking to Dynon Tech Michael Schofield. Just when I though most company's stopped having customer service I had pleasure of Michael's help..which saved me lots of money and headaches...thanks Michael

Actually, I think Michael is a "marketing guy" so the fact that he knows all the technical stuff is truly amazing.... just kidding...I'm a marketing guy too.

Fully agree with the quality of all the Dynon staff. Always come away impressed that they are truly doing everything they can for their customers. Rare these days.

The guy is a class act.
Dealt with him several times and his support is top notch.

Michael hasn't always been a marketing guy. He is in management now, but he was either a programmer or and hardware guy years ago.

Dynon - rubber banding

I would like to reaffirm the accolades about Dynon. In the final days of building our RV-12 and in the the early days of test flying, we had questions. Michael Schofield was extremely helpful, and in response to an inquiry email, David DeLong (Manager of Sales and Technical support) was equally helpful. I was wishing that Dynon would add a feature that David said is called "rubber banding" to the flight plan feature of Skyview. It would increase the usefulness of Skyview Flightplan immensely. An easy example would be flying from airport A to towered airport B, and Tower clears you for a straight-in approach ... so by rubber banding you could alter the planned course to include the flight to the spot needed to line up for the final approach. I'm hoping their addition of "rubber banding" is a near term improvement. Foreflight already has that feature.

I was wishing that Dynon would add a feature that David said is called "rubber banding" to the flight plan feature of Skyview. It would increase the usefulness of Skyview Flightplan immensely. An easy example would be flying from airport A to towered airport B, and Tower clears you for a straight-in approach ... so by rubber banding you could alter the planned course to include the flight to the spot needed to line up for the final approach. I'm hoping their addition of "rubber banding" is a near term improvement. Foreflight already has that feature.

For $35/screen you can add the wifi module and rubber band the flight plan on Foreflight and send it to the screen with the press of one button.

SkyView does have the ability to add a point to a flight plan quickly. You can touch the spot you want on the screen, then ADD->FPL. Not exactly rubber banding, but pretty quick.

SkyView v.14 just released.

Dynon just released (as they promised) the latest s/w update to address the new 2016 FAA restriction on ADS-B in. :)

-------------------------- Per Dynon website...

SkyView v14 contains a software update to the SV-XPNDR-26X transponders to support SV-GPS-2020 operation. This update also enables the continued reception of TIS-B (ADS-B-based) traffic after early 2016. This update is not automatically sent to the transponder, and must be manually started after updating to SkyView v14 by going to the TRANSPONDER SETUP menu in SkyView.See the SkyView System Installation Guide for details on how to update your transponder.

US Quick Update Package to SkyView 14.0
This download contains a single file that is loadable to any US-based SkyView system. If you live in Canada or any other North American country, you should not use this package, as it includes US aviation and obstacle databases that will overwrite your existing Jeppesen or PocketFMS data. It does not include basemap or terrain database updates, as these change infrequently. It includes the files listed below. If you have any custom EMS sensor definitions employed in your SkyView system, you should not use this file, and instead choose each of the appropriate files from the Method 2 (individual files) section below:

SkyView 14.0 US Only Quick Update Package
(Includes 14.0 Software)

(1/13/2016)

Includes:

-SkyView 14.0 Software Update (released 1/13/2016)
-US Aviation Database: 1/7/2015 release
-US Obstacles Database:12/10/2015 release
-EMS Sensor Definitions: 8/4/2015 release
-US Stadium TFRs: as of late 2014

Customers should also update the low, very low, and regional high resolution databases with if they haven't since Sept 2014.

SECTION 11-39 OF INSTALLATION GUIDE (V.14):

Use of Dynon Avionics SV-GPS-250 as a GPS Position Source for US ADS-B Out at SIL/SDA=1
Prior to early 2016, a SkyView system using an SV-GPS-250 as the GPS position source for ADS-B Out transmitted a SIL and SDA of 0.

Beginning in 2016, a SIL and SDA of 1 is required by the FAA for the ADS-B infrastructure to transmit ADS-B traffic data to individual aircraft.

Dynon Avionics has conducted a rigorous analysis of the service history and field use of the SV-GPS-250 and the SkyView system as a whole. This analysis supports the use of the Dynon Avionics SV-GPS-250 as an ADS-B Position Source with a SIL/SDA level of 1. Dynon Avionics implemented the change of SIL/SDA of 1 from SIL/SDA of 0 in January, 2016, as part of SkyView firmware version 14.0.

Dynon Avionics has sufficient operating history as a company to demonstrate that any issues which may arise can be tracked, responded to, and resolved in an acceptable timeframe to maintain an acceptable safety level in the ADS-B environment as a SIL/SDA=1 device.

Last edited: