Junglepilot

Well Known Member
A gentleman told me that the Skyview fuel gauge circuit/system will not share data from the standard fuel quantity sending units with the traditional Van's fuel gauges. Says Dynon told him this would produce erroneous readings.

Anyone else know about this?

Going further are there any other known issues with Dynon EMS and traditional Van's steam gauges (for back-up) like oil pressure for example.

Thanks

A gentleman told me that the Skyview fuel gauge circuit/system will not share data from the standard fuel quantity sending units with the traditional Van's fuel gauges. Says Dynon told him this would produce erroneous readings.

Anyone else know about this?

Going further are there any other known issues with Dynon EMS and traditional Van's steam gauges (for back-up) like oil pressure for example.

Thanks

A resistive type sensor (most of ours except CHT/EGT) require an activation voltage supplied by the indicator.

Two indicators would provide two activation voltages to the same sensor pin, which is bad....:)

In general, even if one sensor can work with two or more instrument types, they usually will not work with two at the same time without some very fancy electronics.

Perhaps a better back up would be a float switch in your tank to light an idiot light when you get to a pre-set low fuel level? this would be completely independent of the other measuring system.

a couple op-amps...

...would likely resolve the issue. Something like:

opampbuffer.jpg

Just pick something that has supply lines at 0 and 12 volts and can go rail-to-rail and you should be all set. Initial guess would be 1k ohm resistors and 10uF caps.

I'm sure an EE could do a lot better, but hey, you get what you pay for. ;)

...would likely resolve the issue. Something like:

<snip>

Just pick something that has supply lines at 0 and 12 volts and can go rail-to-rail and you should be all set. Initial guess would be 1k ohm resistors and 10uF caps.

I'm sure an EE could do a lot better, but hey, you get what you pay for. ;)

It's not that simple, the sensor is a resistive value, not a "Vin" as you show. You need to know the exact input characteristics of each instrument as well as the voltage/current output it provides to the sensor.

Off topic here a little

You sparked a thought. Do you know if the skyview will accept either type of sending unit input or does it need the capacitance type?

It's not that simple, the sensor is a resistive value, not a "Vin" as you show. You need to know the exact input characteristics of each instrument as well as the voltage/current output it provides to the sensor.

Looks like this has already been talked about here. I wonder if anyone has tested this for real?

Dynon's response

Just got response from Dynon on their forum from employee/moderator.

It makes sense. They said:

You cannot hook two gauges to the same sender. This isn't a SkyView thing or an analog gauge thing. Two analog gauges hooked up will read wrong too. A gauge powers a sender, and hooking two gauges up causes twice the power to go to the sender which causes a incorrect reading on both devices.

So if you want redundancy, you just need each gauge in it's own loop with it's own sensor. In some cases (MAP) maybe easy, in other like fuel may be difficult.

Sandy