mark schoening

F Y I -- purchased dynon 100, 120, hs34 yr ago. finishing panel, I wanted to install updates in dynon products. Dug out laptop, did all dynon suggested, no go. checked and re-checked--no go. Called dynon, talked to tech, Had feeling he was stumped, but tech said " You're doing it all correctly, cannot figure what problem is---scratch, scratch, (his head) then said "Well, all it can be is bad serial to usb cable. Go to radio shack and buy new one." Questioning his wisdom, I did that very thing-and WOLA-all worked perfectly! Two days of ripping my hairout (and I don't have a lot to spare) over a hardware defect ! But , THANKS to dynon's tech's patience and suggestion, it all worked out in the end! Yea Dynon.

Mark - It's funny that your location for your posts says "Where is Johnson Creek, WI?" I grew up there!

Forget the fishing and get that thing together.

Mark, I'd have PM'd you, but I'd bet others with RVs and Dynons will have the same issue so there may be some benefit in having a dialogue on this thread.

I have a D-100 and D-120 in my panel and had no trouble installing firmware updates and retrieving data until I got a new laptop. It runs Windows 7, and even after installing the proper driver for the serial-USB cable that has always worked before, it still won't connect. It recognizes the unit on a comm port, but can't seem to make any progress. I tried another laptop, an older one, and it would connect but not make any progress either.

Is that anything like what you experienced? I'm running out of laptops to try ...

wola = viola (pronounced: wa - la)

Actually a viola is a bowed string instrument. It is the middle voice of the violin family, between the violin and the cello.

I think he meant voila! :eek:

But I think anyone building an airplane in their spare time is entitled to say WOLA from time to time, along with a few other colorful words.

Actually a viola is a bowed string instrument. It is the middle voice of the violin family, between the violin and the cello.

I think he meant voila! :eek:

But I think anyone building an airplane in their spare time is entitled to say WOLA from time to time, along with a few other colorful words.

Taloft, Thanks for the correction. I am a terribul speeler! :eek:

Hi Don, The problem in my case was not computer related, but a defective piece of hardware, namely a serial to usb cable. I did the dn-ld (dynon 5.2) and tried to install with my lap-top with win7 to no avail. While I was trying to update the dynon did not recognized the port (#4) at all. Borrowed a friends lap-top with win XP and still no sucess. Called Dynon tech and got the suggestion to trot down to near-by Radio Shack and buy new cord and, $38.00 later, yeah---sucess! (with my laptop with win7) Actually very simple to do when your hardware is good.

Last edited:
OK, thanks, Mark. At this point, I'm not terribly impressed with Win7. I have programs that just won't work right on it, and issues that really wear me down. I don't understand how a cable can work just dandy on one computer and NOT work on another, but I may try your idea and just buy a new cable. I have ONE more laptop with WinXP that I can try first ... :rolleyes:

That makes 3 USB cables from Dynon that I know about that are defective. 2 of them at my airport - KHAO. I also bought one from Radio Shack and it works fine. Jon Thocker ended up doing the same. Too bad Dynon doesn't write their software to be compatible with Mac.

RS232 testing

I manufacture a piece of equipment that uses RS232 and it is useful to find out if the hardware is working. I have a free program to test the rs232 or usb to 232 cable.

email me to get it.

[email protected]

OK, thanks, Mark. At this point, I'm not terribly impressed with Win7. I have programs that just won't work right on it, and issues that really wear me down. I don't understand how a cable can work just dandy on one computer and NOT work on another, but I may try your idea and just buy a new cable. I have ONE more laptop with WinXP that I can try first ... :rolleyes:

Just some gen info- when I started using win7, my biggest problem was going through my system and up-loading all the NEW drivers. Win7 auto update did not work with all applications. Some, (a printer, audio card, etc, ) had to be updated by going to sites and manually dn-lding win7 driver update. Other than that, once I got used to it, I like win7.

(pronounced: wa - la)
Only in the US. In countries where people speak French, it's more like "vwa-la" with the v and the w run together. I agree that it's kinda hard to write phonetically.

But it's definitely not "wa-la".

FWIW

I had issues with the 5.2 update this past weekend with the same netbook and XP that had worked fine before, net result for me was uninstalling the blackberry desktop and modem drivers which seemed to conflict with the prolific usb to serial drivers and prevented the dynon support program from finding the correct serial port and device.
Update went fine after the uninstall (and disconnecting the 496)

Only in the US. In countries where people speak French, it's more like "vwa-la" with the v and the w run together. I agree that it's kinda hard to write phonetically.

But it's definitely not "wa-la".

In German the "w" would be more like a "v," almost a "vw." That would make "wala" almost exactly correct.

But then, the Germans and Phrench hate each other...

;)