UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - If you've mounted the Dynon SV‐GPS‐250 GPS Antenna, I'm curious where you ended up mounting it.

I am considering putting it on the rear deck, just a few inches behind where the canpoy meets the AL skin.... is there a better location?

Thanks,
Jason

rear deck for me...

I laid mine out on the back deck... works great. Note that the coax is not centered on the puck.

img432120.jpg

img43252.jpg

use a backing plate...

if you drill the coax hole into the j-stringer you will compromise it significantly... suggest using some scrap .032 and make a backing plate with some nut plates.

On the stringer, sorta...

I'm mounting a GPS antenna closer to the center line, using the existing gusset/doubler as the backing plate. (Mine is a Garmin antenna, not Dynon, but similar hole pattern by the looks of it, same idea.)

I didn't want to center the antenna right on the stringer because the big hole for the BNC would weaken it significantly, like Stephen said. So what I did was to offset the antenna to the left by half the mounting hole lateral spacing such that the two right-side mounting holes are centered on the stringer and roughly centered between existing rivet locations, and the two left-side mounting holes, as well as the big hole for the BNC, are well within the gusset/doubler but do not go through the stringer.

Note that in the photos below the 5 holes (4 mounting holes and the hole for the BNC) are still just pilot drilled, not enlarged to final size. But you can see their locations (they are the ones that are not dimpled):

Top view:
20091208_2.jpg

Bottom view:
20091208_3.jpg