scsmith

Well Known Member
Anybody have opinions on how worthwhile the Dynon superbright screen option is for typical RV installations? I'm putting an EMS-120 in my RV-8. I'm wondering if I need the super bright option or not,

Steve
RV-8QB FWF

Haven't really flown with the "bright" screen, but most all my flying is done in Texas sun without problems.

Kind of depends on location in the panel, length of the glareshield overlap, etc..

That being said, my recommendation is get the brighter one up front. It's not much more, and is significantly brighter. With the "standard" EFIS, I always find myslef pushing the "bright" button and hoping it'll get brighter. The "Super Bright" (neat marketing buzz word - because it's not like it's blinding bright or anything) upgrade, the screen us just right for me and is what I'd do if I had an RV8. You can always turn the brightness down if it's too bright, but I'm betting that you won't often do that. Kind of like you can always pull the throttle back - but then again we're in an RV so who'd do that?!?! :)

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

I agree with Stein. Not flying yet, but one can always turn the screen brightness down - and the cost is pretty minimal (as I recall about $200 for my D100). Kind of like "can you have too much power?"

greg

Yes...

....to your question. I fly a friend's -4 and even with the sun at your back, it's easily readable on a cloudless, bright day. Well worth it.

Regards,