Moura

Well Known Member
Hi, is there anyone currently flying with the new skyview with all the bells and wristles? How is it performing? What about AP?
Thanks

Sebastiao,
A little closer to your home, we'll be at the EAB Show in Brazil next week. Please stop by, say hello, and we'll give you a first hand look at SkyView. Also, you may want to check out our Forum at www.DynonAvionics.com. You will be able to read many SkyView user comments and questions there.

-Robert
Dynon Marketing

I'll let you know

Hi, is there anyone currently flying with the new skyview with all the bells and wristles? How is it performing? What about AP?
Thanks

I'm upgrading from D100/EMS120 so hopefully I'll be back flying in a few days.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedbacks. I have seen the skyview at sun'n fun and really liked it. I even purchase a 2x 10 inch screen, 2 adahars, EMS, AOA and AP servos, GPS,... for my RV10 but it will be still a few weeks before I fly it. Just wanted to know from people who are already flying them their perceptions. I will try the dynon forum.
Thank you

One of the reasons we are going to Brazil is to establish better customer service options.

-Robert
Dynon Marketing

If you are in Brazil, it'd be worth your time to speak with the guys down at Flyer. You probably know them, but they do many dozens upon dozens (sometimes hundreds) of RV's & aircraft per year in Brazil and are also an cerfitied shop with their own avionics experts, engine experts, etc.. I would fully recommend anyone near them to utilize their services or expertiese if at all possible.

Cheers,
Stein

Hi Stein, Flyer is building my RV10 and I have already owned a RV9A and a Pelican built by Flyer. In fact they are the largest experimental and ultralight aircraft builder in Brazil and they probably delivery around 100 aircrafts a year to its customers. I should receive my RV10 shortly and I will post pics of it as soon as I put my hands on it.
Regarding the Skyview, since its a new system, they too have not installed many systems, if any. I believe mine may be the first. That's why I wanted some feedback from current users.
Thank you

Moura

Hi Moura,

Good choice! Flyer do an excellent job and we know them well, and if you're getting and RV-10 from them there is some parts in the plane that came from us! Anyway, best of luck with the RV-10, I know you'll very much enjoy it!

Cheers,
Stein

Really, what kind of items? I am supposed to receive my 10 in a few weeks.... am I excited or what. Started my purchase more than 2 years ago!!

Thanks

Just installed one last month. Did one 10" screen with EMS, one adahars, gps and battery backup module in an RV6A. As is, it works well and has a beautiful screen but it's a bit early in it's development to do a full review. I patiently await each software release to gain capability. There's a lot of bells and whistles on the D100/120/180 that have yet to emerge on the Skyview. Below is a list which outlines current vs future capability. Long term, I believe it will be an exceptionally capable system BUT you have to have faith in Dynon that they will keep all their promises. Having been a satisfied D100 owner in the past I believe they will live up to that..Tom

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/news_technology_preview.html

Yup

Just installed one last month. Did one 10" screen with EMS, one adahars, gps and battery backup module in an RV6A. As is, it works well and has a beautiful screen but it's a bit early in it's development to do a full review. I patiently await each software release to gain capability. There's a lot of bells and whistles on the D100/120/180 that have yet to emerge on the Skyview. Below is a list which outlines current vs future capability. Long term, I believe it will be an exceptionally capable system BUT you have to have faith in Dynon that they will keep all their promises. Having been a satisfied D100 owner in the past I believe they will live up to that..Tom

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/news_technology_preview.html

I basically installed the same setup in my '8 and I'm very happy with it so far. The display is really very readable. Big improvement. Features are coming along and the unit seems very stable and solid in the operation.

The installation (retrofit) was a snap. Much cleaner install than the older system.

RV-12 Upgrade

Patiently waiting (and hoping) for Dynon and Van's to get together and offer the SkyView as standard equipment for the RV-12. :)

Hope that it will happen soon.:cool:

Sebastiao,
A little closer to your home, we'll be at the EAB Show in Brazil next week. Please stop by, say hello, and we'll give you a first hand look at SkyView. Also, you may want to check out our Forum at www.DynonAvionics.com. You will be able to read many SkyView user comments and questions there.

-Robert
Dynon Marketing

Hi Robert

It was great being with you guys at EAB. I really hope Dynon extends its business in Brazil and even perhaps, have a service representative to provide us support we need. Thank you for your attention and I really hope you guys enjoyed our beautiful country, even though I believe you guys did not have time to see almost anything of our country.
I hope I have my RV10's panel done by you guys. Will I be lucky enough? Mine is the PT-ZSM. Let me know how it goes.

See you around

Moura

Moura,
We had a fantastic time in Brasil! Both the country and the people are wonderful. We flew in one of Flyer's RV-10s (not yours, it's not quite ready yet) and were very impressed. Flyer has one of the best organized and professional operations I've seen.

Flyer is working with us to provide excellent service and support for their Dynon customers. Ask Claudio about their plans when you next talk to him.

I hope to see you again soon. And enjoy your RV10!

-Robert
Dynon Marketing

SKYVIEW $$

Hello everyone
I'm planning to replace my BMA G3 Lite with a Skyview 7'' and was wondering where's the best deal around?? (John Stark seem to have a decent price..)
I'm looking at a full system minus the EMS for now unless I'm able to sell all the stuff in my panel ( anyone looking for a full RV-4 inst. panel??)

Thank you for your imputs

Bruno
rv4"videotron.ca

If all you want is lowest price up front and no service, there are several places you can go and one that claims they will not be beat on prices....

But if you want good service and someone you can call when you have issues, stick with experience and reputation. This won't be the least expensive up front but could be down the road once it is all said and done....

Stein is one option for the later....

Although Stein is great....surely Dynon stands behind their product reguardless of who you buy from. pacific gulf coast...www.pca.aero has lower skyview prices than even buying direct from dynon.

Skyview $$

Brantel & Ryan

Thanks for the reply..

Brantel, I agree with you that post-purchase service is a big plus but I live in Canada and will most likely deal directly with Dynon if I have an issue...
Stein's reputation seems to be excellent and it is really good to see that kind of individual in this business,I've been burned before ( BMA).Ill keep that in mind..

Ryan
Thanks, I will have a look at PCA aero, can't hurt does it??

Regards

Bruno

Most of Dynon's distributors offer lower pricing than Dynon direct. That is common with all the manufacturers.

Yep, Dynon will help no matter where you bought it and I know this first hand.

Just depends on how "Avionics" savy you are and how well you are at taking lots of different sources for information and different products and integrating them into a working system. If you are good at it, you won't need much support, if not go with someone like Stein for best results.

The other thing is that people like Stein will offer you various options for support, anything from just sell you the parts with some verbal help on the phone all the way to a plug and play panel....its your choice.

Although Stein is great....surely Dynon stands behind their product reguardless of who you buy from. pacific gulf coast...www.pca.aero has lower skyview prices than even buying direct from dynon.

Plug for SteinAir

I just got a 2 Skyview, 2 ADAHARS, EMS, GPS, GMA240, GTX327, and SL30 from SteinAir. I may have been able to pay less somewhere else but they wired up the Garmin stuff at a very reasonable price. It looked great. I asked they send enough Dynon network cables and splitters to do the job. I also need a couple cables for the 2 autopilot servos. Pay attention to that. The autopilot cable was expensive but it was a custom cable from the display spliting, one part runing to the wing servo, the other part to the back of the airplane where it split again to the other servo and each ADAHARS. One piece rather than several Dynon cables. Much easier installation and less money than those long cables and splitters. They included a nice wiring schematic show how everything connects. One connection was in error according to Dynon's manual. Turns out that Dynon's manual was at least confusing.

I did return a couple parts on 6/23 by UPS that were not used. SteinAir cut a refund check on 6/28! That is something you just don't see.

Last edited:
Plugging a Skyview

My plan so far is to install the basic system ie ; The main screen..7'' , adhars,back up battery, gps and that's it.

I plan on keeping my actual engine gauges, EDM 700 and Navaid autopilot if I'm able to fit the whole thing in an RV-4's panel

If not then I'll go with the EMS, autopilot servos and most likely the big screen.
Anyone has pictures of an installation in an RV-4 so I can have a look at one?

Thanks again for your imputs Gents, I do appreciate the different ways of thinking.. Keep them coming

Cheers

Bruno

I have about 31 hours now with my Skyview. I really like it. The display is well thought out and is exactly what I would hope for in an EFIS. The EMS is slick. Make sure you take the time to get that set up correctly. Chosse the correct sensors and dial in all the limits and alarms. It's easy to get it messed up.

I had a glitch with my ADAHRS and Dynon sent me a replacement immediately.

Installation is pretty simple. The current version of the manual is really good. I have the -10 and plan to put a -7 in the panel soon. I will also add a second ADAHR at that time.

I don't have the AP servos yet.
I'd buy another.

Skyview

Tony
By looking at your pictures, it looks like you mounted the ADHARS near the tail??
How do you get access to it..a special panel or do you just crawl up the tail cone??

Can't wait to see the second Skyview installed..

Enjoy it, you earned it

Bruno

Tony
By looking at your pictures, it looks like you mounted the ADHARS near the tail??
How do you get access to it..a special panel or do you just crawl up the tail cone??

Can't wait to see the second Skyview installed..

Enjoy it, you earned it

Bruno

Bruno - I just changed the ADAHRS. It was a bit of a pain. I was able to remove the emp transition fairing then access through the aft fuselage frame holes. I don't know if I love the location I chose. There is no interference though. I don't suppose I would have had it had I put it just behind the baggage blkhd. Still for what little maintenance there is on the ADAHRS, my location should be fine.

Hi Tony
The fun we have playing with our toys..;)

Did you consider mounting it in the wing tip or will it make the wire run too long??
My BMA Ahars is mounted on the shelf in the bagage compartment and so far it is bang on so I'm hoping to mount the Dynon's in the same spot..

Hi Tony
The fun we have playing with our toys..;)

Did you consider mounting it in the wing tip or will it make the wire run too long??
My BMA Ahars is mounted on the shelf in the bagage compartment and so far it is bang on so I'm hoping to mount the Dynon's in the same spot..

You can't mount the ADAHRS in the wing tip as it has to be close to the A/C centerline. A bit different than the previous Dynon magnetometer.

I initially was going to mount mine just behind the bag blkhd. I saw another builder mount theirs the way I ended up and it looked quick and simple. I really think someone needs to mfg a kit to install a tray for it. I'd opted for that had it been available.

ooppps

:eek: ''You can't mount the ADAHRS in the wing tip as it has to be close to the A/C centerline''

You're right, I totally forgot about that..The idea of a mounting bracket is a good one...Maybe there's money there to help finance some of our toys.:D

I am going to test out the newest software version 2.5 tomorrow. Should be a nice improvement. Added synthetic runways and obstacles as well as more GPS functions. Keeps getting better and better.

Don't mean to get off thread, but how's that RV-4. I am about ready to start a new kit....

Known to be

the best RV design by Van's...

Joking aside, the -4 is really nimble to fly, light on the control,fast ( specially with a 180hp/CS )
I flew a friend RV-8 and when compare to a -4, it's like comparing a sport car to a sedan...
The only negative of a -4 will be the room in the back,it's fairly tight back there...
Also, the -4 kit is still the old fashion way except for the wings which comes pre-punched...
The best -4 is a Rocket...you keep the feel and get the roominess...probably my next move..
Going back to the Skyview, I hope Dynon release the maping/navigation info for us Canadians asap...It sure is nice to look at..
Cheers

Bruno

RV-9A with Dynon SkyView

I had the bitter-sweet pleasure of being the last pilot to fly N822GD in the USA today. Tomorrow we'll start disassembling the plane to ship over to Australia to it's new owner. This plane has a single SkyView display which performed flawlessly. I've flown many planes with the older Dynon EFIS displays, but this was my first opportunity to fly behind the SkyView.

I must say, I'm now spoiled! It was really cool to be on short final into Oakland Airport, and looking down at the display to see the runway coming up from below, then looking up and seeing the exact same thing out the window. It even had the runway numbers and the threshold stripes on the display.

I know there's a lot of us that will forever appreciated round gauges, but the new technology coming out is so very cool!