Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
I have been over the last month and a half cutting up my panel to install a GTN 650 and a Garmin 240 Audio panel.

I had Approach Stack do the wiring harness for the 650 to tie it in to the Dual Dynon installation.

My question is hopefully I have all the setting correct in the Garmin 650 as well as the Dynon Skyview but the Weather here has been rotten to do a flight test.

Does any one have a similar installation...
When in the VLOC setting on the ground but not within range of a VOR do you get a Green Course needle.

The GPS seems to be working even on the ground.

I decided to go this route to make the plane IFR compliant and meet the
2020 certified WAAS GPS criteria.

Hopefully Friday or Saturday we will take the bird up and see what happens then get the static system checked Monday to make it all legal.

Smilin' Jack

I have been over the last month and a half cutting up my panel to install a GTN 650 and a Garmin 240 Audio panel.

I had Approach Stack do the wiring harness for the 650 to tie it in to the Dual Dynon installation.

My question is hopefully I have all the setting correct in the Garmin 650 as well as the Dynon Skyview but the Weather here has been rotten to do a flight test.

Does any one have a similar installation...
When in the VLOC setting on the ground but not within range of a VOR do you get a Green Course needle.

The GPS seems to be working even on the ground.

I decided to go this route to make the plane IFR compliant and meet the
2020 certified WAAS GPS criteria.

Hopefully Friday or Saturday we will take the bird up and see what happens then get the static system checked Monday to make it all legal.

Smilin' Jack

Off the top of my head, I don't think I do.

You don't. The lack of needle is ththe way it tells you that it is flagged, which is standard on electronic hsi's.

650 Power up

When you power it (650) up, one of the screens is the test screen that shows the LOC 1/2 left and the GS 1/2 up. If you get these the unit is talking to the EFIS properly. Doesn't however tell you if you're receiving a good signal to the 650. You will also get a bearing to the GARMN intersection. You use this to check you bearing pointers and the CDI.

Thanks all,
It seems like I have a setting in the Airinc 429 still wrong. The Loc will track with the Autopilot the GS will display but the autopilot will not fly down the GS
However on a GPS all indications work and it does a LPV approach beautifully,

either a setting is wrong or the GS to the Autopilot is not wired or set correctly or the PIC does not have all the required buttons pushed correctly��

On a good note the Baja Design LED's Pro Spot Lights really work well in lighting up the Runway at Minimuns (VFR only so far) and 1/2 mile off the end of the Runway. Just need to put in a couple strip LED's to see all the switches.

Smilin'Jack

Last edited:
Are you referring to the glideslope on a GPS approach or an ILS approach? If it is flying the GPS via GPSS, then the Glideslope info is getting to the AP. Assuming it is the Dynon auto pilot, then it will work if you push the right buttons. Once you see the glideslope needle and you are below it, push the vnav button in the AP and it should flag it and couple when it centers. It s the same for the ILS if you are seeing the needles. The ARINC information includes both lateral and vertical together. If you get one, you are getting both.

you have to use the VNav on the ILS to have the Dynon capture the GS? I know you had to press theVNAV button on a GPS like we select it on our Jets I fly thought it would just capture automatically.
Jack