robertb328

Friend
I am looking at wiring up the pitch servo and wondering if there is any reason why the power, ground and disconnect wires cannot be wired into the same d-sub connector as the four position wires. Only four of the 9 pins are used. I realize that the those wires would have to be split out before connecting with the hub, but why not use those extra pins? I plan to put a terminal strip near the hub, so the wire lengths will not be an issue.

That is what I did

I did the same as you described. I have not powered the system, but did not see why it would not work. Only caution is to make sure you never plug it in to something thinking it is a standard network cable. I put a label on it to hopefully avoid that.

The network wires are twisted pair. The others might not be. Haven't checked the manual. There is a redundant network pair as well. Dynon has an excellent forum in which questions are quickly answered by Dynon techs.

Dynon Support Forum

Bill,

Thanks for the idea of the Dynon forum. I actually found the answer to my question. From Dynon support in response to a question:

So that harness actually comes with no connectors attached. You should have 20 feet of harness wire and all of the pieces (minus a crimper) you need to make the harness exactly the way you need it (cut to length, routed through tight spaces). When you put it together, the power, ground, and disconnect wires shouldn't be in the DB9 connector, per the diagram. Technically, you can connect the power and ground through the 9 pin at the servo end only, but they need to be split out at the other and sent to ship's power, not the hub/SkyView Network.

With the 4 other wires connected to the DB9, though, it is indeed compatible with the hub.

If that doesn't make sense, give us a call and we can explain it over the phone.

I am looking at wiring up the pitch servo and wondering if there is any reason why the power, ground and disconnect wires cannot be wired into the same d-sub connector as the four position wires. Only four of the 9 pins are used. I realize that the those wires would have to be split out before connecting with the hub, but why not use those extra pins? I plan to put a terminal strip near the hub, so the wire lengths will not be an issue.

I did this, and it worked fine. I saw no reason to have yet another connector for these 3 wires at the servo end and, in fact, the wires were already in the pre-made harness I got from Stein. No chance of ever connecting them to a "regular" network connector, and I have very detailed schematics of every system and subsystem on the plane which explicitly calls out this item on the autopilot servo diagrams. (N.B. No "hub" on my system, though...not sure if that changes anything for you...)

I built my own cables and connectors, but yes I did the same thing, running all the pins through the DB9. The only real key here is that the power for the servo needs to come from your avionics buss through a separate wire (and fuse/breaker) and not through the Dynon buss cable. The wire on the Dynon cable is sized for signal only, not enough to power the servos, so your power and ground will need to be separate and larger.

If you make up your own cables you might be able to change the routing a little.

I put a splice in my servo leads so I had a single cable at the Skyview end. The cable runs to the under-seat roll servo, and then aft to the pitch servo.

Without the splice two long seperate cables would be needed, with yet another bundle to pass through the RV-6 spar bottleneck...:)

This is how I connected the servos -

servo-conn_zpse8aa78e0.jpg