Flybuddy2

Well Known Member
Have an RV6A with the usual tubing type pitot tube. Can I swap to a Dynon aoa/pitot without major modification?
Tom

should not be too big a deal...

you will need a mast to house the pitot... i used one from safeair1. the mount location laps directly against the spar flange but can be mounted most anywhere along the wing that you have good access to. the 6 is a bit more restricted with fewer access holes so it will be fun routing the pitot and aoa lines to the root but it should not be that bad. for the skyview the adahrs will likely mount behind the baggage bulkhead and so you can just use a tee to feed your current pitot line going to your panel as the line comes into the cabin.

I also used the Safeair mast. Good price and high quality. IIRC it also comes with a template for cutting out the bottom skin for the mast.

If you remove the fuek tank it will be very easy to route the new pitot lines. You should be able to do it with the tank in place, but it will be much harder to route the lines without chaffing. It also depends on how the current pitot line is routed (per plans or not)

Tom,

The safeair mast does come with a template. I've seen someone route the new line on top of the Z brackets for the fuel tank (attached with adel clamps); it's easier to install and inspect.

Are you putting a retrofitting a skyview? I might have to beg for a ride; I've been drooling over GRT products but the skyview has my interest.

Paul

No Z brackets on the RV-6. The per-plans pitot routing in on the forward face of the spar web under the fuel tank held down by a few fabbed clamps.

Even though I don't have an AOA pitot at the moment I ran two pitot lines just in case.

FP02112009A0004I.jpg

the adahrs will likely mount behind the baggage bulkhead and so you can just use a tee to feed your current pitot line going to your panel as the line comes into the cabin.

Does the adahrs come with a cable and if it does, is it long enough to reach the skyview from the baggage bulkhead??

Tom,

The safeair mast does come with a template. I've seen someone route the new line on top of the Z brackets for the fuel tank (attached with adel clamps); it's easier to install and inspect.

Are you putting a retrofitting a skyview? I might have to beg for a ride; I've been drooling over GRT products but the skyview has my interest.

Paul

Yes, I'm planning to retrofit to a single 10" skyview with one adahrs, gps module, ems module, engine probe kit, backup battery, etc.I've been trying to figure out what to order as you need to piece this whole thing together. A lot of options to pick through. It's close enough to sun-n-fun that I'll wait till the show to purchase and lord knows how long I'll have to wait. I remember ordering a D100 from Spruce back in 07 and it took almost 3 months to get.
After it's in, if you're in the neighborhood, stop by.

skyview cable

Does the adahrs come with a cable and if it does, is it long enough to reach the skyview from the baggage bulkhead??

you purchase the cable separately... they come in various lengths, the longer ones are terminated only on one end to facilitate pulling the wires through the fuselage. the cost differential is small enough that i suggest getting the longest one to allow for the most flexibility.

Dynon Pitot and EMS Module

Can't speak for the 6A but when I switched from the other brand to the Dynon with heat & AoA, the swapout took about 30 minutes for the mounting change in the 9A wing, then the SafeAir lines were added --but those lines run behind the spar on the 9A.
I would like to know if anyone has found the best position to mount the Skyview Engine Module? (along with the pro's and con's of the location choice if available). It looks like the right backpanel rib near the firewall is a good spot. Any pictures would be helpful.
Steve
Newport News,9a
90 down 90 to go

Can't speak for the 6A but when I switched from the other brand to the Dynon with heat & AoA, the swapout took about 30 minutes for the mounting change in the 9A wing, then the SafeAir lines were added --but those lines run behind the spar on the 9A.
I would like to know if anyone has found the best position to mount the Skyview Engine Module? (along with the pro's and con's of the location choice if available). It looks like the right backpanel rib near the firewall is a good spot. Any pictures would be helpful.
Steve
Newport News,9a
90 down 90 to go

I mounted the engine module on the right subpanel. You can pretty much mount it anywhere as it's a remote module but that will give you the shortest wire runs to both the engine sensors and the data cable over to the Skyview itself. In most RVs this is empty space.