ron sterba

Well Known Member
Just installed my probes for EGT and CHT and Oil pressure and fuel pressure. These wires I was told NOT to bundle at ANY point in a clamp were mag leads and spark plug wires. Should there be 3 bundles. Spark plug wire, mag leads, then sensor leads fro EGT,CHT,oil pressure and fuel pressure? If so in 3 bundles how did you routed the wires? On the sensor wires did you take the leads from one side of the engine over the engine mount to one point entry thru the firewall to the engine monitor unit or did you keep your sensor wires on their respective sides and then have to points of pass thrus on the wirewall? Open for suggestions. Pics would be great help.. Much appreciated guys! Thanks.
Ron in Oregon RV9a QB

You received good advice. Combining the ignition leads with the low voltage signal leads is not a good practice. The only item I have issue with is the mag "p" leads. Assuming you have used shielded wire and grounded the shield properly, there should not be any issues with running them next to the other sensor wires such as the oil pressure, fuel pressure etc.
The CHT and EGT lines I ran separate in their own adel clamps. The CHT were run above the intake tubes along with the alternator and starter lines. I split the CHT and EGT sensor wires inside the cockpit and ran the left and right through separate firewall penetrations. The left went with the P leads, sensor leads, and battery power lead. The right went with the Alternator output and field leads, and the fuel flow sensor.
I attached a photo taken during the firewall forward process.

IMG_2550.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2867.JPG

Thank you Bill! Much appreciated the direction on the separation of wires. Now today I can put those all in clamps and stop worrying about it. Your job is very neat and thats how I like it. Noticed the sleeve jacketing on the wires. Know just the place to go and get it. Very nice!
Ron in Oregon QBRV9A