Ron RV8

Well Known Member
Yesterday the Skyview booted with a full screen red cross saying "EMS FAILURE". It would not turn off with the 1 button, and would not turn off with the master. I rebooted the Skyview and it came up apparently as normal.

What I did find is that the RMP indication was fluctuating significantly, and I was getting occasional autopilot warnings. Earlier, on the last few flights I noticed some fluctuation of RPM readings and wondered about what might be causing it.

I recently loaded update 14.2.1.3698 and wonder if there might be a glitch?

The system also contains a number of splitters rather than a hub. This was recommended by some one at Dynon early in the install. I wonder if there is a maximum number?

I also recently installed the basic knob panel.

Anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
I'd be interested in knowing why someone would recommend splitters versus a hub, which is basically a 5 way splitter.

I've asked myself the same question. I really didn't know about the hub when I was setting up the system. They said 2 spitters would do it. Think I'm up to 4 or 5 now...

Wires are too short now to reach a hub and I've got a lot of $ in splitters.

Got a call in to dynon, we'll see what they say...

Splitters were used prior to the introduction of the 5 way hub about a year ago. No difference in their use. No practical limit to the number of splitters in your system. I have been using a splitter for the ADAHRS and another for the servos. Recently added a hub to avoid a daisy chain of screens, buttons, knobs, ems, adsb, etc.
Was this problem in a new system? Fluctuating RPM is unlikely to cause an EMS failure. If the RPM jumps around erratically it could need added resistance in the p-lead pick up wires. Was this one time only or can you get it to recur?

Ouch! As a young man I was learning to fly a couple years back, now I'm on Medicare.