Tbone

Well Known Member
Here goes....I'm wiring my -7 with a D180, D100, and a HS34. The D180 has 2 Female D9 data connectors. (One for EFIS and ONE for EMS). My D100 has one and my HS34 also has one. That makes a total of four. Will they all be used at some point? My avionics are as follows. Dynon D180, D100, HS34, Garmin 430W, Garmin SL40 & GTX327 xpndr. It seems to me I read or "heard" that with the HS34 interface that it was the "brain" of the mix and everything was uploaded from its port? Anyone up for giving me some help$$?:confused:

So I'm guessing that all 4 will have, or had, a specific update for itself at some time? How is that accomplished? Are they separate "firmware" for each?:rolleyes:

You do not need the one from the EMS side of the D-180, just from the EFIS side. Both screens will require one each and the HS34 will require one. The HS34 is basically an ARINC converter with buttons and knobs. It is not the brains of the network.

Each has seperate firmware

Each piece has separate firmware updated from a laptop (or PC), you may need a usb/serial adapter if the laptop does not have a RS232 port. There have not been any updates on these systems for some time so it would make sense to update each piece on the bench prior to final install in the panel so that you would not have to mess with the DB9's unless you had a problem, they are only used for updates. This is also the best approach because when it is all hooked together sometimes the updates dont go well.
In my case the HS34 is on a separate panel and the DB9's pigtails are stored behind the panel.

Terry,
The D180 comes with the harness from the D100 and the harness from the D120. To save cost and extra part numbers, we don't make a special harness for the D180. Because of this, there is a serial port on the harness that plugs into the D37 that is unused on a D180.

Page 2-7 of the install guide recommends that you remove these wires.

Sorry we forgot to mention this in our first response.

I'm sorry but I haven't seen any reference to the removal of those wires on pg 2-7. Just for removal of pins 1,2,34,35,36,& 37 on the 37 pin EMS harness.

No reference found. Only referencing that it is a EMS serial harness for possible engine data streaming. :confused:

The D180 has the capabilities of a D100 combined with a D120. You update software through the EFIS harness. The serial port on the EMS harness can still communicate with other electronics. For example, it can output the engine data to a VP-200. The harness has the serial port connector because they didn't want to stock a separate harness for the D180 engine monitor. The serial port will not be used to update the software, and if you are not using the engine serial data stream, you can remove those pins.

Thanks Jessie & All,
I do understand the use of the D120 harness and will remove the additional wires on the D37 connector. So I will wire for the HS34, D100, & the D25 connector on the D180. Those are for my updates and only ones needed. Now on to my other questions.............at a later time..