High_Flyer

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,
This may seem like a stupid beginner's question and I guess it is...
I am in France and used to the metric system. Understanding the anglo-saxon measure system is like learning a new language for me. I have managed to figure out rivets sizes etc, but with screws and bolts there is a new measure which is threads per inch... There are screws, machine screws, metal work screws, etc. Same for bolts.
Could anyone point me to some sort of "guide" to understand the different screws and bolts, and which one to use for our kits.
Another related question: I am installing a dynon pitot on a safeair1 mast. The screws required to atach the pitot to the mast are not included in the pitot kit. I see that some have used 6-32 screws for this. However I have f... up one of the holes and would like to go to one size above 6-32. So what scew is just one size above 6-32 that would work fine for my pitot installation? Also what tap to use to make the thread in the pitot?
Thanks and sorry for what may seem like a very basic question to some...
Alain.

Next size

A #8-32 is what many of us commonly use as next size up. It will work fine
With the dynon pitot and safe air mast.
RV9A Bill

"However I have f... up one of the holes"
Ha! I love this! yep I F..up one of the holes myself and then F.. it up again! Got so sick of F..up the hole that I stuck a dang pop rivet in it!

Ok Gents, thanks a lot for the replies.
After I posted the above I went in search of a solution nearby and found some nice screws, drill and tap, all in metric to finish mounting the pitot on the mast. I guess it will be the only place on the airplane with metric scews. I'll have to make a special note in case I need to replace them one day.
Good day to everyone.
Alain.

I guess it will be the only place on the airplane with metric scews.

Aaaahhh...not quite :) I found at least two other locations:

There's a metric stud on the Skytec starter, and the Andair fuel pump (and I think the fuel valve, too) uses metric hardware.

There was one other place, IIRC, but I can't think of what it was at the moment. No doubt this will bother me until I remember it in the middle of the night tonight :)

Those cool little semi circle type switch guards like these:
SA-813%20S.jpg

They have metric threads. I lost one of the tiny nylock nuts that come with these and had a fun time finding replacements here.
Also have metric bolts on the Odyssey battery lugs.