Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I thought I would post this as a heads up to anyone who has the Dynon Heated Pitot (re-designed unit).

I noticed on a couple of flights when penetrating light rain and in wet clouds (well above freezing), the IAS and TAS would drop off considerably, by as much as 12-15 kts. The ground speed would remain unchanged. After a couple of incidents of this I contacted Dynon support, who immediately shipped me a new pitot and had me return the suspect unit. A couple of weeks later I received a call from Dynon stating they found that during the manufacturing process foreign material had made its way into the drain system, preventing water from escaping.

I suggested they notify their customers that may be affected with this manufacturing process issue. Whether they do is of course their call.

I would suggest that anyone that has one of these pitot tube verify that the drain holes are clear. Here is what they suggested to me. If the pitot is installed in the aircraft system, cover the pitot port and the AOA port, with an inflated balloon. It should deflate quite quickly. If it is not yet installed it should be easy to verify with shop air.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the note. This is the first probe that has been returned with this particular issue. So far, it looks like there may be is a small number of probes that could possibly have this issue, but it's likely that even in that small population, the risk is low. We're determining whether or not there is broader corrective action that is needed.