Carlos151

Well Known Member
Friend
In the process of installing a Dynon pitch servo into my slow build RV-8. I purchased the installation kit with the servo but I found that the brackets extend aft of the F-808 bulkhead and will not lay flush on the bell crank flanges unless a small portion of the bulkhead is removed. Looking for any insight into this installation problem. It does not appear that it would compromise the structural integrity but I wanted some opinions on this.

The picture shows the area that would have to be removed for clearance.

fuselage642.jpg

Last edited:
I don't recall having to make the mod you suggest. I'd double check the alignment a couple times before cutting.

Alignment is good

Thanks Ken. I checked the alignment and it all looks good. Dynon's drawings show an area 2 1/2" wide for the brackets to "fit" over the top of the F808 bulkhead but there is no mention of having to trim anything. Essentially I would have to trim the bulkhead flange about 1/8" to 3/16" deep for the mounting brackets to hang over the bulkhead as depicted in their installation diagram. There is a mention of pre and post 2006 mounting kits for the RV-8. Mine is a post 2006 and as such has the longer servo mounting brackets.

Trim it--

See my kit log entry 1-9-12. I trimmed the bulkhead, just as Mike Elliott did-he got the ok from Vans about this.

My kitlog is under skyking90200. (200 not 2001 like my VAF screen name). I'd post the the link, but haven't quite mastered this new fangled I-pad.

Steve

Trimmed the bulkhead

Thanks Steve. After conferring with Mike Elliot and with my Tech Counselor, I went ahead and trimmed the bulkhead just as you did. Only removed 3/16" of an inch and unless you were looking for it, you would never know it was trimmed. Riveted the mounting brackets to the baggage support ribs and it fits and looks great. Vans gave their approval too.

F808 bulkhead trimmed:
fuselage643.jpg

Servo brackets installed:
fuselage645.jpg

Servo installed:
fuselage646.jpg

Last edited: