kiwipete

Well Known Member
Here's what I posted on the dynon forum, while I'm waiting for a reply I would like to know what Dynon EMS user's here have done:

I have a DEK180 and superior (Lycoming type) engine.
The oil temperature sensor came without any washer to install it. I have used a standard crush washer however I have had an oil leak and I'm concerned that there is no way to safety wire the sender to stop it being able to come loose.
The sensor doesn't seem to make enough contact with the crush washer for a good seal and when using crush washers the component's are normal safety wired.
How do you recommend it is installed and ensured that it can't vibrate loose?

thanks

Peter Reid

I also installed the Dynon sensor with a purchased crush washer MS35769-11 from Aircraft Spruce. I haven't started my engine yet but am not happy with the apparent seal / fit of the sensor and washer. Also the non-safety wire also concerns me. I will be interested hearing what Dynon has to say regarding your query.

Safety Wire

I'm not sure what the Dynon sensor looks like but here's the GRT sensor to the right in this pic, just up from the oil filter. I ended up safety wiring it to the cap on the alt oil supply port just above the temp sensor as that seemed to be about the best, and only, place to wire it.

IMG_0624.JPG

Jim

same. . .

I have same engine and efis. . . not happy with the an900 fit. looks oblate, not cenetered around base of sender. thought maybe I had one size too big of washer. no start yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it leaks.

They all fit loose once the washer is up against the base of the sender. The washer needs a bigger ID to fit over the threads of the sender. If you use a little finesse while tightening the sender and keep the crush washer centered it will normally seal fine. If you want to safety the sender, you could always drill a small safety wire hole through the corner of two of the flats on the sender.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
'The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk.?

Dynon's reply

Thanks for the replies so far

Here's the reply I got from Dynon:

"We haven't heard of people having issues once they're using a crush washer. What size are you using? We've heard from customers that an AN900-10 should do the trick. If you want to safety wire, we'd recommend putting a band clamp around the nut-shaped top portion of the sensor, then wiring that."

Personally I'm not that happy with this sensor not being safety wired. So I'm planning to either drill a hole to be able to safety wire it or use a hose clamp and wire that. I'll try another crush washer but the sensor could do with being a little bigger to give the washer a better seal. Mine started to leak after a few hours and when I checked it, it felt loose, which is what worried me.
The GRT one looks much better as it quite a bit wider.

I'll post my results next week.

Peter

Is it K-thermocouple?

We use to not drill our OT probes for safety wire but have been now for about a year.

I would safety wire it if it where me.....:D

I have had no leakage or any signs that this probe is coming loose in 300 hours. It wouldn't be difficult, though, to put a small clamp on it and safetywire from that to the engine case.

I don't know how close to the edge the "guts" of the sender are, but it might also be possible to drill through the apex where two flats come together.

--Marc

Last edited:
When installing the crush gasket, which side of it goes up? The solid surface, or the side with the open gap?

The gap goes down, the smooth side goes up against the sensor.

Ours also has a worrisome gap between the shank of the sensor and the inner diameter of the crush gasket. I'd thought about putting a small Buna-N O-ring around the shank to fill the gap, but didn't, thinking that might cause more problems since it's an unknown configuration. Holding the crush gasket centered while tightening the sensor has yielded no leaks. It's tight enough to seal all the way around, and we also put some of that gooey brown Permatex on the threads, and I'm not too worried about it coming loose on its own.

Last edited: