g zero

Well Known Member
Looking to install the Dynon OAT probe under the horizontal stabilizer on my 8 before the turtle deck gets riveted . The probe has aprox 10 feet of wire , can I splice on more wire to get to the panel or is the probe a "thermal couple " type that will loose calibration with added wires ?

Yes you can splice but if I remember correctly, it plugs in to the magnetometer. If it's located in the tail you are set.

g zero

I mounted my probe in the right inspection cover at the rear of the fuse, under the HS. My magnetometer is mounted on a brace at the top of the bulkhead aft of the elevator bellcrank. I didn't need extra OAT wire. I'm not flying yet, but it seems to be working out ok.

Oat

Thanks for the info , I see that it does not have to reach the panel , plenty of wire on the factory pigtail .
Tom

Guys: Remember, any heat source can skew the temperature reading and affect TAS and wind info. By heat source, I mean engine cooling air flowing around the fuselage or cabin heat venting into the fuselage tail cone area. It was recommended to me that a location on the wing, away from the fuselage, in one of the underwing access panels for easy access, would insure no engine or cabin heat temperature inaccuracies. Just a thought, Dan

Guys: Remember, any heat source can skew the temperature reading and affect TAS and wind info. By heat source, I mean engine cooling air flowing around the fuselage or cabin heat venting into the fuselage tail cone area. It was recommended to me that a location on the wing, away from the fuselage, in one of the underwing access panels for easy access, would insure no engine or cabin heat temperature inaccuracies. Just a thought, Dan

While true, one of the worst places to place the OAT probe is in the NACA vent.

I mounted my OAT in the last bulkhead, under the empennage fairing, in the tooling hole. It does read high on the ground but by the time I'm at pattern altitude it is within one or two degrees of everyone else I have flown beside. One advantage to this location is that you don't have to worry about hitting it when cleaning the plane.

Last edited: