Toobuilder

Well Known Member
Is it possible for the Dynon probe to fail "open" when troubleshooting with an ohmmeter?

I recently had grand plans to relocate my temp probe from the aft fuselage because it was picking up engine heat. I disconnected the connector from the magnetometer and desoldered the 3 wires for the probe. When I replaced everything and powered back up, the remote compass was "not found" by the D-10A. Double checked the wiring and found that my blue and red wires were reversed, but even when that was corrected, I still go the "not found" message. Finally swapped in a spare magnetometer and it showed up immediately, but still no OAT. So a friend suggested ohmming out the probe; I'm expecting about 7k, but I get nothing at the connector.

Any thoughts?

How old is the OAT probe? We have two types in the world, and they work totally differently.

I don't know. The airplane first flew in 2005, and the probe has red, blue and yellow wires in a shielded cable, and was working fine a couple days ago.

You can check in your setup in the D10A to see if it has a "type 1" or a "type 2" sensor selected.

If it's a type one, hooking the blue/red backwards will kill it, and it can't be checked with an ohmmeter even when working 100%.

It's a type one, and apparently I killed it.

Did that wiring mistake take out the magnetometer too?

...OK, who has a spare OAT probe they don't need?