Tbone

Well Known Member
How has the group "leveled" the mag to coinside with the "head" unit? I have mounted mine behind the baggage compartment and was curious on how to level such a small unit to match the EFIS. Any tricks?

How has the group "leveled" the mag to coinside with the "head" unit? I have mounted mine behind the baggage compartment and was curious on how to level such a small unit to match the EFIS. Any tricks?
A digital level is very handy for this. If you don't have that you could level the head unit by raising the tailwheel the appropriate amount and mount the magnetometer level. If you have a nosedragger do something similar.

Terry, a Smart Level or similar electronic level makes this an easy job.

Or.......block up the tail of your RV-7 until you can verify the instrument panel is plumb with a conventional level, then adjust the mag mount until the mag is also plumb per the level.

If the mag mount itself cannot be easily adjusted (best to design this feature into your mount) then use non-ferrous shims to bring the mag into alignment with the EFIS.

(Looks like Larry beat me to the reply by a few seconds. :) )

Digital Level

Measure angle of panel and make magnitometer the same +/-90 deg.

PS - steel is a big problem - mine is on the rear deck and the elevator horn affects it by a couple of degrees at full +/- deflection. Not an issue when straight and level while navigating but not ideal.

Last edited:
Terry,

I used my digital Smart Level to make sure the shelf was level.

Then it was held in place with brass machine screws, nuts, etc.

Thanks for all the replies. I do have a smart level but it seems due to the small size of the mag it would be hard to make sure it is accurate to the level.

I used my digital Smart Level to make sure the shelf was level.
Then it was held in place with brass machine screws, nuts, etc.
That's what we did... Looks almost the same.

Measured and fitted and measured and check and rechceckd and drilled t holes and cleco and check and recheck and drill more and check and drill more and cleco and rivit 2 holes and check and recheck and rivet more. and when done recheck and within the .1 deg resolution of the level.

I do have a smart level ...
Grabbed ours at sears on sale for $29. Worth every penny....

Correct me if I'm wrong -- and in my case I'm building an A model -- but the instrument panel is not level, right? As I recall when I installed mine, it's about 8 degrees forward (I don't believe I had the engine on then so the tail might have been sitting up slightly but, no matter. I just had to make the two match a common standard). So my remote compass had to be 8 degrees forward to.

I put a single angle from gusset plate to gusset plate (the ones behind the seat belt attach point), made a rectangular mounting plate, then made two spacers for the rear bolts to replicate the 8 degree angle.

remote_compass_pitch.jpg

dynon_pitch.jpg

I have to do a little filing on the spacers and adjust the mounting plate a little bit, but that's something for a snowy day this winter.