Doug94

Well Known Member
I've reached the point where I have put this off and I need to move forward. I am installing a dual dynon system in an RV 8 and need some input on where guys have put the magnetometers - I know the rules about ferous metal etc but what has worked? In the tail, on the wingtips - what has been the best place you have expereienced?

Secondly, if I put it on the aft end of the wingtip (whelen strobes up front) can the wire be run in the same conduit as the shielded whelen wire or has this caused anyone trouble?

Finally, have you made your own 4 wire bundle or is this something you have had made when wire bundles for the EFIS system are constructed? I will have my panel wiring done - I have no intention of trying this myself although a little 4 wire bundle seems doable.

Thanks for your input...:)

When I surveyed my -8 for my GRT magnetometers, I found that the spot in the fuselage with the least interference from moving steel was on a platform one bulkhead back from the baggage compartment. The aft deck gave me interference when I moved the elevators. I prefer fuselage mounting because I can all-up avionics testing without the wings being mounted - like while it is still home in the garage/workshop.

Paul

If you're installing regular dynons (D10/100/180), the EDC magnetometer does not need to be close to the centerline like the ADAHARS used for the Skyview. Wing/Wingtip mount has worked OK for most. I just did one in a 9A for a D10 and wingtip location worked fine. I did NOT run in the same conduit as the strobe/landing lt/nav lt wires but did it by itself. Just test flew it today and worked fine. If you're doing Skyview, the ADAHARS will need to be mounted just aft of the baggage bulkhead. Recently installed there in my 6A and works fine.

Hi flybuddy2

Just awaiting for my Skyview ADAHARS to arrive any chance of some photos of youe 6 installation

Mark

Rear Deck

The magnetometer on my RV-6 is on the rear deck and I get about at 3 degree variation when I move the elevator from stop to stop. I plan to move it one day.

Jim Sharkey