uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
For those of you using the Dynon D100 with the remote EDC-10A can you calibrate MAGCAL using the 496 in auto magcal mode for the NESW headings, I have not yet swung my standby compass and after the MAGCAL effort yesterday using the standby compass the dynon and the 496 disagree on heading by about 10 degrees.:confused:
I have entered the calculated values for inclination and intensity for my airport location.

Thanks

First, remember that in the air, disagreement from the 496 and the D100 is normal- that's what wind does to you. One is magnetic heading and one is ground track.

That being said, on the ground, they should match, and you can use the 496 as a reference to help you calibrate. The real trick is that GPS (any GPS) doesn't give accurate heading unless you are moving, so what you need to do is taxi with the 496 at about 10 knots until it reads exactly 0, 90, 180, or 270. Then slow down very carefully in a straight line and use that.

It's also important to verify that your GPS is correcting for local magnetic variation, and isn't in true north mode, but it sounds like you have already done that.

We did ours with the G296 exactly as DS suggests. Works fine and this was with the old D10 and EDC10 in our Jabiru. Will do the same with the RV next year.

Question for DS though, we will fit a D100 and D180 and all the HS/AP items, with he data sharing over DSAB, should we fit both EDC-D10's and connect one to each panel or will this cause a conflict?

DB

In the air

One quick follow-up question about in-the -air (which is what I did today), I flew a 4 quadrant pass NESW, each for the 15 sec data gathering phase and now the D100 is close to the 496 (which is in magvar mode). Wouldn't the wind impact be somewhat canceled out over the four legs?
I had the Trutrack ADI II autopilot fly each leg in altitude hold and GPS track mode.
Apologize if this is a dumb question.:confused:

Another way to swing your compass (D100 or otherwise)

I used my backpacker's compass
22146.jpg

By standing behind the plane and sighting up the spine with the compass it was very easy to set the D100's compass.

Wouldn't the wind impact be somewhat canceled out over the four legs?

The calibration process is not an average of headings. You are telling it this IS 0 degrees, this IS 90, etc. So if you do it in the air, and there's wind, it will be off at some headings forever.

Also, we assume no motion and no roll. In other words, we really do assume you are on the ground, motionless, and the heading is dead accurate.

As for a D100/D180 combo, one EDC is shared in that situation, but if the main unit fails and you have no second EDC installed, you won't have backup heading. We generally recommend two EDC's installed, and they can be installed right on top of one another. They won't cross-interfere.

A forester.....

I used my backpacker's compass
22146.jpg

By standing behind the plane and sighting up the spine with the compass it was very easy to set the D100's compass.

.....usually has a calibrated compass. A friend of ours is one and he came out and we spray painted the four cardinal headings on the pavement and just aligned the -4 with each one.....perfect first time;)

Regards,

compass

Having a Dynon D100 installed in my RV-7, Do i still need a compass and deviation card to be legal?

Having a Dynon D100 installed in my RV-7, Do i still need a compass and deviation card to be legal?
The regs say you need a magnetic indicator, which the D100 is. I'm not sure about the deviation card as I don't have one.

BTW, I Velcroed a whiskey compass to my glair shield for the inspection and then removed it. I did this simply so I wouldn?t have a problem when the FAA came to inspect my plane.