f1rocket

Well Known Member
So I'm flying cross country with a heavily loaded RV-12. I am using the AP settings that came preset for the RV-12. Every 30 seconds, the Dynon is complaining "Trim Up" and then "Trim Down". It was so bad that I eventually hand flew the airplane for over 6 hours on the way home because I got so tired of this.

Is there a way to turn this particular voice notification off? The AP holds the altitude with 20-40 feet but every bobble produces a warning voice. What's the best fix?

Randy,
You can turn the audio off. Go into Audio Setup in System Setup and turn the autopilot sounds off.

I assume this is a new issue? You mention a heavily loaded airplane. If you had a very rearward CG, the airplane might be pretty unstable and the AP might be fighting pretty hard to keep you on altitude, which is why it's asking for trim all the time.

If it's not new, then I'd look for friction in the control system causing the AP to have to work extra hard when it wants to change direction.

This is all assuming you are on a new-ish software version.

Thank You

Thanks for the quick reply. No, it's not a particularly new issue. I've had it before on my other cross country trips, but it just seemed worse on this last one. I don't have any friction in my control system. When I fly it once it's trimmed, I just use two fingers to lightly tip the stick forward or back. If I turn on the AP at this point, the airplane will bob back and forth between 40 feet high and 40 feet low. Maybe I need to tune the AP to hold altitude a little more quickly? I haven't played with those settings much.

Yes, we were heavy but the CG was in the middle of the envelope and moved forward as fuel burned off. I don't discount that the change in envelope made this problem more acute but I don't think it is causing it. Like I said, I can fly it with two fingers and hold it right on altitude.

I am on version 12.2

So I'm flying cross country with a heavily loaded RV-12. I am using the AP settings that came preset for the RV-12. Every 30 seconds, the Dynon is complaining "Trim Up" and then "Trim Down". It was so bad that I eventually hand flew the airplane for over 6 hours on the way home because I got so tired of this.

Is there a way to turn this particular voice notification off? The AP holds the altitude with 20-40 feet but every bobble produces a warning voice. What's the best fix?

Hi Randy. The solution to this is to install autotrim. I'm not familiar with Van's RV-12 electrics, but it should be easy to do. If you have the panel space, you can use the Dynon box. Otherwise, I developed a hidden autotrim controller that works really well. The test mule was my Rocket, which, as you know, needs a lot of trim adjustments.

V