carl nank

Well Known Member
I am very close to first flight and was sitting in my RV studying my Dynon EFIS to make sure I can operate it properly.

Note: I have a trycycle gear. I became concerned when I realized the Artificial Horizon was considerably below the center. I thought I would adjust the horizon line and I discovered the display indicated it was set at zero, and it would increase from zero as I adjusted the AH toward the center of the screen.

I know I am supposed to reset the AH while flying in level flight, however it seems quite a ways off. I am concerned that if the AH is left the way it is, I could become disoriented should the AH be adjusted improperly on my first take-off.

I seem to remember that Van's airplanes require a 5 degree correction due to panel slant. I do not know if that is true with an EFIS.

What did you EFIS, nosewheel drivers do regarding adjusting the AH priot to first flight? Or am I overthinking this?

Thanks for your response.

Yep, you're overthinking this...

...a bit too much so early on:).

Besides, you'll need to look outside mostly on that first flight, not at the Dynon very much. You'll have plenty of opportunity to set the horizon after you settle down a bit and the adrenalin slows some:)

Best,

For a good starting place, level the longerons right at the cockpit and then set the Dynon on the horizon.

Make sure you do get it set level in flight before doing the compass calibration or it will introduce errors.

Have you already done your weight and balance? That would be the perfect time to adjust the Dynon attitude setting. I believe the tilt of the panel is closer to 8 degrees (I think my attitude setting on my EFIS D-10A is +- 7.5 (can't remember if it's negative or positive).

I mean this with the utmost respect, but if you are concerned that an incorrect attitude display would be an issue on the first flight, have you evaluated your readiness for doing the first flight?

I am very close to first flight and was sitting in my RV studying my Dynon EFIS to make sure I can operate it properly.

Note: I have a trycycle gear. I became concerned when I realized the Artificial Horizon was considerably below the center. I thought I would adjust the horizon line and I discovered the display indicated it was set at zero, and it would increase from zero as I adjusted the AH toward the center of the screen.
As delivered from Dynon, the EFIS is set up so that it shows zero pitch attitude when the EFIS is completely level. The RV instrument panel is tilted, so the EFIS thinks you are in a dive when the aircraft is level. The adjustment value you were looking at is the amount of correction (originally it was zero) - it is not the current pitch attitude.

As far as I know all the two-place RVs have a nominal instrument panel angle of 8 degrees. Set the pitch correction in the EFIS to 8 degrees, and that should get it close enough for the initial flight testing.

I spent some time...

...on the Dynon FAQ pages some time ago when I was configuring my EFIS 10A. I seem to recall questions and answers that addressed this type of horizon line set up.

Once the plane is flying, the horizon line is "automagically" self adjusted to level flight by the internal sensors. As you change speed and remain at a constant steady state altitude (no change in static pressure), the Dynon horizon line stays where it is and no manual change (reference line) is required by the pilot as the aircraft's pitch attitude changes...or something like that.

...on the Dynon FAQ pages some time ago when I was configuring my EFIS 10A. I seem to recall questions and answers that addressed this type of horizon line set up.

Once the plane is flying, the horizon line is "automagically" self adjusted to level flight by the internal sensors...
On my 10A horizon adjust is very much manual and in fact you need to decide what speed to set it up with because faster speeds will show nose below the horizon and vice versa, same as with the actual horizon.

You must correct for any difference between "In Flight Level" and the built in pitch offset of the instrument panel if your plane has one. Once this is set, you should never have to adjust it again.

Once the plane is flying, the horizon line is "automagically" self adjusted to level flight by the internal sensors. As you change speed and remain at a constant steady state altitude (no change in static pressure), the Dynon horizon line stays where it is and no manual change (reference line) is required by the pilot as the aircraft's pitch attitude changes...or something like that.

On my 10A horizon adjust is very much manual and in fact you need to decide what speed to set it up with because faster speeds will show nose below the horizon and vice versa, same as with the actual horizon.

I agree with Larry, my horizon changes with speed, I typically set it for normal cruise speed per Dynons recomendations.

I might be all wet but it is my understanding that is because the actual pitch attitude of the airplane changes with different speeds.

I might be all wet but it is my understanding that is because the actual pitch attitude of the airplane changes with different speeds.
That is exactly why. The actual attitude is changing and the instrument shows that.

Thanks

As delivered from Dynon, the EFIS is set up so that it shows zero pitch attitude when the EFIS is completely level. The RV instrument panel is tilted, so the EFIS thinks you are in a dive when the aircraft is level. The adjustment value you were looking at is the amount of correction (originally it was zero) - it is not the current pitch attitude.

Thanks Kevin. I believe you are right, the AH came from Dynon set at zero. I am sure that is a standard factory setting. I think I will start off setting it at "8" as you say. My canopy rails are level with all wheels on the ground so this would make sense. I will certainly check it when I am in level flight either way.

I mean this with the utmost respect, but if you are concerned that an incorrect attitude display would be an issue on the first flight, have you evaluated your readiness for doing the first flight?
Jamie, I take no umbridge regarding your statement. I believe everyone here has each others interest at heart. What I am trying to do is ensure a safe first flight. The difference between a setting of "0" and "8" is very significant on my panel and I do not need a distraction on my first flight. I am trying to be very thorough and safe. Many people ask me when will I fly the airplane and I respond, "When the airplane is ready and when I am ready.

I appreciate all you guys!!!!

Last edited: