High_Flyer

Well Known Member
Hi,
I am reading all I can / planning my electrical system.

I will install a full Dynon Skyview system including a Dynon heated pitot.
And a VP-X Sport.

Question:
The pitot heater controller has 3 wires:
Red for power, connected to the VP-X
Black to ground
White to??

The Dynon installation guide says:
white (wire) : connected to a light bulb (or resistor and LED) tied to switched ship's power. This line is grounded when the heater controller is powered off or not fuctionning. (...)

I couldn't find anything in the VP-X manual.

I don't think a light is necessary in my setup as I'm pretty sure either the Skyview or the VP-X can give me warning of the pitot being off or not fuctionning.

What do I do with this white wire from the pitot heater controller???

I can post this on the Dynon and V. P. forums, but I'm sure I'll have a very quick reply here ;-)

Thank you.

Alain.

I ran mine out to the wing root connector before I realized I didn't have a need for it, so it's just unused. I would just cut most of it off, leave a couple inches and put a crimp connector on the end to protect the end

I ran mine out to the wing root connector before I realized I didn't have a need for it, so it's just unused. I would just cut most of it off, leave a couple inches and put a crimp connector on the end to protect the end

Thank you for your reply.

So the white wire is not used, and I suppose the VP-X will detect a fault if current dosn't flow to the probe in case of a malfunction, and send a warning on the Skyview display?

Alain.

So the white wire is not used, and I suppose the VP-X will detect a fault if current dosn't flow to the probe in case of a malfunction, and send a warning on the Skyview display?

Alain.

If you set up the VPX that way, yes. You set all that when you configure the VPX using the online configuration tool.

I connected the pitot white wire to my Dynon EMS contact input. The input can be configured on the engine screen as a colored ball. Black is off and green is on. Did the same with my canopy contact switch to show my canopy is locked.

I connected the pitot white wire to my Dynon EMS contact input. The input can be configured on the engine screen as a colored ball. Black is off and green is on. Did the same with my canopy contact switch to show my canopy is locked.

That's another very good info. Thanks a lot.
I'll have to think about it now and decide which way is best for my setup.

Alain.

If you wanted to have a detectable fault you can use the white wire up to the EMS on the Skyview. The VPX can detect a current loss but this will not work because the Dynon Pitot heater will cycle off when it heats up-- (the VPX will show a fault every time the heater in the Pitot Tube cycles.).
I have not connected mine yet (white wire).

If you wanted to have a detectable fault you can use the white wire up to the EMS on the Skyview. The VPX can detect a current loss but this will not work because the Dynon Pitot heater will cycle off when it heats up-- (the VPX will show a fault every time the heater in the Pitot Tube cycles.).
I have not connected mine yet (white wire).

This is how I have it connected and after 150hrs feel it is the best way.

I have mine similarly set up. I use BLACK for OFF but BLUE for on. My thought process is GREEN denotes normal operations and things that should normally be ON or engaged. BLUE is for things that are ON only in certain situations. I have my Fuel Pump, Pitot Heat, Strobes and Defrost fans light up as BLUE when on.

Just my 2 cents.

:cool:

Last edited: