Mdragon

I have a Dynon HDX x 2 system , and a Garmin 175 for IFR approaches. The HDX will fly gps routes from the Garmin that are manually entered for VFR flights. It will also show the needle and glideslope when I load an IFR apporach on the Garmin 175, and change the NAV source to the Garmin. However, when I try to engage the Dynon autopilot, it has difficulty latching on to the Garmin approach data, and will begin turning me way off course.

Any idea on how to get the Dynon to fly the loaded approach from the Garmin?

While we're at it, how about having the dynon fly holds from the Garmin 175.

Anyone here with the same setup?

Thanks

I have the same setup, but only one HDx display.
My autopilot works well with the 175. Putting AP in NAV mode it will do whatever the 175 tells it to do. Fly holds, approaches, etc.

Dual HDX, GPS175, Dynon autopilot with autopilot control panel, GNC255. Can select either GPS or GNC255 and fly autopilot coupled approaches, load a flight plan in GPS175, select GPS175 in the nav window and fly the flight plan, intercept and fly a hold selected in the GPS175, can fly to or from a VOR with the GNC255 selected. In short it all works as advertised. I have the Dynon ARINC 429 module.

Keith Turner
RV-7A

I have the same HDX with Garmin 175.

A few questions -

Do you know for sure that the Garmin 175 is properly configured to the HDX and AP via the Dynon ARINC-429?
There are multiple settings that need to configured in the 175 to get the HDX and Dynon AP to couple to the Garmin RNAV approach as the nav source.

Are you coupling the Dynon AP to the RNAV approach course using the NAV button on the AP control panel? You should get a Magenta GPSS on the top LH side of the HDX.

The HDX and Dynon AP will not couple to the RNAV glideslope until you get to the FAF...and you need to be within the capture heading and altitude.

Is the VNAV armed prior to the FAF so that it will go active once past the FAF? It should go from grey white to magenta once it captures.

I can fly coupled approaches quite well with my Dynon HDX, AP pitch / roll servos, AP control panel, and ARINC-429 linked to my Garmin 175.

Yours should work equally as well.

I followed the settings someone else had posted to setup the garmin. The dynon will fly other flight plans from the garmin I have loaded, for instance from ForeFlight to garmin. If I select an approach in flight on the garmin, activate it, it seems the dynon won't fly it with autopilot.

Goi g to test again in a couple days.

I do get a magenta gps in left corner, and the hsi needles and glide slope indicator work, so the data must be driving it properly from the garmin. If I read your response correctly, the plane must be hand flown until the final approach fix?

May I ask if you know the set up settings you used?

Thanks

Last edited:
Here are my settings for using HDx + Garmin 175. The top ARINC settings are for the Garmin and the Dynon settings are under the Dynon HDx banner

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 8.58.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 8.58.12 PM.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 61