carl nank

Well Known Member
Specifically, I am looking for EMS calibration of the EGT/CHT green, yellow and red limits normally used for Superior (Lycoming) engines.

I have found some of the limits for CHT, but I am somewhat confused as to what to use for calibration.

If someone has a guidline that works for them, I would appreciate some help.

Thanks and Happy new year.

Carl Nank

Carl,

Not sure exactly what you mean by calibration. If you mean limits for the green/yellow/red arcs, I use 400 for green/yellow and 430 for yellow/red for CHTs (I think this approximately is what Superior recommended). EGTs vary wildly from install to install depending on where they are placed on the exhaust. Mine are about (note ABOUT since they vary slightly) 6 inches from the head. I typically end up leaning my engine through about 1350-1400 in cruise. I have set my green/yellow at 1450 and yellow/red at 1500. Occasionally I see the yellow but have never seen the red. However, I fly high and out of a high airport (5000 ft). Where I usually see yellow is when I am at low altitude. Makes sense since there is more air and more fuel at lower altitude. If you are at low altitude or different positioning on the probes, then you might want to adjust these values.

Hope this helps.

greg

I don't know if you've seen these yet, but you should grab them before they disappear:

http://www.superiorairparts.com/vantageManuals.asp#

Do you have horizontal or vertical induction? If you have vertical induction, your engine is almost identical to the type certificated Superior Vantage engine. The Vantage manuals are quite useful. I remember reading through those to get my desired red-line numbers. My Dynon EMS settings for CHT/EGT are very close to what Greg was using.

The XP-360 manual that shipped with the engine is almost completely useless -- other than being a nice engine logbook.

Agreed, and for future reference if anyone needs them, I have pdf copies of the manuals. If needed, send me a PM.

greg

I do have the Superior Vantage manuals. I have gone through them with a fine tooth comb and found some important stuff but nothing on EGT, and also not much on fine tuning the color parameters calibration. I understand the EGT depends upon location of probes.

I just thought if someone has their color point temperatures that would give me a starting position, I could adjust them as necessary as I go along. I was hoping to get something that would provide a starting point.

Dynon says to not use the configurations they have input in the system.

By the way, I have the forward facing sump.

Thanks for your help.

Carl,

Here is how I had mine set for the O-290:

TOP OF SCALE: 1600
HI RED/YEL: 1600
HI YEL/GRN: 1500
LO GRN/YEL: 800
BOT OF SCALE: 600

I don't expect the numbers to be any different for your engine. However, I strongly suggest you turn off all the alarms except the low oil pressure warning for your first flight. Trust me, you will be fixated on those gauges so you will know if something goes bad. You don't need a lot of buzzing going on when you are trying to focus. Just a suggestion. After a flight or two, turn the alarms on.

Other numbers that are from my Lycoming Operator's Manual that go against conventional wisdom:

Lycoming Operator's Manual said:
Above 75% power - Never lean beyond 150*F on the rich side of peak EGT unless aircraft operator?s manual shows otherwise.

75% power and below - Operate at peak EGT

For continuous operation cylinder head temperatures should be maintained below 435*F (224*C).

Max Cyl. Head Temp 500*F (260*C)*
*- At Bayonet Locations - For maximum service life of the engine, maintain cylinder head temperatures between 150*F (65*C) and 400*F (204*C) during continuous operation.

Thanks Bill

Your post should help me a lot. During my 3 engine start ups, I mostly saw red on the EGT-CHT gauges, even though the numbered temps indicated I should be well under any red lines. This provides me with a better starting point.

I disconnected all alarms before start up because I was getting mass alarms and figured I could monitor the numbers OK. It is a good idea though to enable the oil pressure alarm and I will do that prior to next start up.

I also appreciate your CHT numbers.

Carl