ccarter

Well Known Member
I encounterd a small anamolly this week with a feature on my Dynon D180 that I really like. The CDI needle on the HSI screen disappeared. I spent several hours tinkering with both the D180 and the 496 to get it back. Intuition told me it was a menu configurable problem but I couldn't track it down. Several searches to this forum yielded no results, surprising because "VAFoogle" is always been the first place I look for this kind of stuff. It turns out the Garmin software updater changes a setting in the Garmin impacting the datafeed to the D180. The manifestation is the virtual CDI needle disappears when NAVSRC is set to the GPS. If you've updated your Garmin software this could be your issue.

I'm making a post here so the search engine will pick up on the additional keywords for any other "bretheren" who may/will probably encounter this issue. The answer was already here on the forum. See post below...

C U @ Osh-2010

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=50484

Yep...Dynon needs the Advanced NMEA setting to be NORMAL instead of FAST...

Most people don't know there is an Advanced NMEA setting on the X96's since it is hard to find that option.....it is there trust me!

Some other basic things you need are: A sat lock on the GPS...Simulator mode won't work at all with the Dynon, baud rates must match or be set to auto, data formats must match....etc.

You also don't get the actual CDI until there is an active waypoint/flightplan/goto in the GPS...

Last edited:
Squeezing out just a bit more performance..

Hey Brantel,

Do you get the Glide Slope indicator on your Dynon (EFIS) side when a VNAV profile is enabled on your x96? The user guide "seems" to indicate you will if everthing is setup properly. Not a true GS I know and not to be used as such but on my FlightDeck D180, if I enable the CDI+GS it displays nicely from the SL-30 in the left info area. I fly with the 496 in moving map mode mostly and don't often switch to the HSI on the Dynon. Recently however I've been looking for ways to squeeze a bit more info out of the gear to reduce cockpit workload. My SL-30 NAV is considered "backup" navigation so I'm flying more off of the 496 than ever before and may start sourcing the HSI and CDI needle from the GPS more often.

<snip>Simulator mode won't work at all with the Dynon, ...<snip>

Hehe - Simulator mode won't work with ANYTHING, not just Dynon. In that mode the Garmin does not actually output any signal.

I know that's what you meant, but considering how many posts I've seen about people getting frustrated because they have their Garmin hooked up to this or that and it won't respond to simulator mode I thought it bore emphasizing. Everyone seems to think that the simulator mode is like a "test" mode and would output as if operating.

Not.

Maybe...

Hey Brantel,

.....Do you get the Glide Slope indicator on your Dynon (EFIS) side when a VNAV profile is enabled on your x96? .

I default my HSI on my D-100 to be my opening page and it's driven by my 430W and 496. During boot up mode the 430 will show the needle half left and the GS half up. When flying an LNAV approach, the GS display will only be there if it's also an LPV approach and the minimums are almost identical to a full ILS approach and easily as accurate, if not more so. The GS guidance is incredible.

I don't think that a 496 will enable the GS needle though,

Best,

Simulator mode won't work with ANYTHING, not just Dynon. In that mode the Garmin does not actually output any signal.

Sure it does. But in the data it outputs it is also saying "this is not real data!" so whatever box is listening generally won't use it.

mcb

Hey Brantel,

Do you get the Glide Slope indicator on your Dynon (EFIS) side when a VNAV profile is enabled on your x96? The user guide "seems" to indicate you will if everthing is setup properly. Not a true GS I know and not to be used as such but on my FlightDeck D180, if I enable the CDI+GS it displays nicely from the SL-30 in the left info area. I fly with the 496 in moving map mode mostly and don't often switch to the HSI on the Dynon. Recently however I've been looking for ways to squeeze a bit more info out of the gear to reduce cockpit workload. My SL-30 NAV is considered "backup" navigation so I'm flying more off of the 496 than ever before and may start sourcing the HSI and CDI needle from the GPS more often.

Chris,

You will get a GS on the EFIS display if you have an active target waypoint and an active VNAV profile on an X96.

My technique has been to set my 396 VNAV profile to a 500 fpm rate of descent, and also set it put me 1-3 miles from the destination (target) waypoint at 1000' above that point's elevation (depending on what angle I'm coming at the active runway from, and whether I want to come into the break, or I want to have some space to slow down to enter the pattern, etc. Surrounding terrain can also impact how I set the VNAV parameters, or whether I follow the VNAV guidance or just fly the airplane and put it where it needs to be.) You can set any rate of descent and any altitude above the target elevation, down to zero. Those settings are in the Setup menu, under the VNAV tab (Menu, Menu, scroll to Setup, look for the VNAV tab to the right).

I also have my Dynon AP set for a 500 fpm climb/descent. When I see the GS needle on the EFIS and HSI approaching the center, I roll in the new altitude with the AP-74, and the AP starts a descent. It's been pretty good at keeping the needle centered. Not IFR good, as the VNAV info and the VSI rate on the AP are completely separate, so there is drift (mine usually goes a bit high, but its all in VMC conditions, so I'm OK with that, and I'm still wringing out the AP testing). Now if we could get the "VSI to target" info on the X96 to drive the VSI rate on the AP, that would be pretty cool! I don't know if that data is even part of an output sentence from the x96, and asking Dynon to put in a coupling feature to a VFR piece of gear may be asking a bit much...but it'd be kinda neat!

One thing I've noticed is that if, due to terrain, I ignore the GS needle and fly past top-of-descent, or if I descend at a lesser rate than 500 fpm and let the aircraft drift too high above the profile (needle down), at some point the GS needle goes away, rather than just park at full deflection down. Not sure if that happens at full deflection, or if it happens at a certain number of feet above profile, but just wanted to pass it along. As I play with it more, I'll see if I can see when the needle appears as I approach the VNAV profile, and when it dissapears as I fly past TOD. Guess I could RTFM again, but didn't see it before, and test flying is fun! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Like Bob sez... if you get the VNAV GS on the X96, it can be shown on the Dynon either in the HSI or on the left of the main EFIS page if enabled. Works great!

On normal waypoints it will go away at about 500ft (I think this is where it quits) above the ground. There is a way to put in a user waypoint at the same lat and long as the built in runway waypoints (the ones you get when you enable an approach) and set the waypoint's elevation below the actual field elevation and it will guide you all the way to the ground if you want.

This is not to be used for anything other than for the fun of it in VMC conditions........Do at your own risk!!

Having more fun than is generally allowed...

We flew out to M29 this mornnig for breakfast and to check out the golf course. Sweet place. When I go back I'm taking my clubs. It was my first chance to try out the new config with the D180 and the 496. I have my VNAV profile set up pretty much the way Bob does. Everything worked great. When the VNAV profile activated on the 496 the GS appeared in the left info area of the D180. Nice touch. I had to move the MAP/RPM info widget to the right since I use it in the pattern and still want to see it. So, now the virtual CDI and the GS appear on the EFIS page.

Returning to MQY, with weather in the area, vis about 7nm the GS was a nice aid to bring us down 500 fpm to left base on 32. Nice...

Thanks guys... :)

C U @ Osh - 2010