JohnF

Well Known Member
How much, if anything, has been preprogrammed in the D180 as it relates to Rotax engine limits, normal ranges, etc as supplied in the avionics kit?

Appears as though it has been COMPLETELY programmed, with a couple of exceptions which are specific to the installation. You will have to calibrate the fuel sender adding 2 gal at a time and the trim position sender per the Dynon installation manual. All color coding and alarm limits for the engine have been pre-programmed. Airframe info has also been pre-programmed (airspeed, etc). Nice, huh??

There is also a niffty little feature preprogrammed into the D180 EMS. The operating oil temerpature of the Rotax is 122 degrees F. We are not supposed to operate the engine above 2500 RPMs until that limit is reached. When the engine is first started and the oil temp is below 122, the colored arcs on the tach reflect the narrow operating range of RPMs. Anything at or above 2500 will be in the yellow arc and the the digital readout will be backgrounded in yellow. Once the temp reaches 122 degrees, the arcs automatically change to the normal operating ranges and we can then do our runup.

During warmup, I typically set the engine speed at between 2300 and 2400 RPMS. That is well within the green arc for warming. Plus it is enough power to taxi.

Fuel Flow calibration

We also had to re-calibrate the Fuel Flow K-factor. It was set at 68000 or so as if an FT-60 had been installed. We were sent a Flow-Scan and the included k-tag went missing so we took a few flights to bring it into spec using the calibration procedure in the D-180 install manual.

-Neil

Neil,

I would also like to know the K factor you ended up with. Will give me a good start for my calibration.

Thanks. ...marty

Flo Scan

I too would be interested as I have the Flo Scan and it sounds as though they are setting things up with the FT-60 as the default.

Does anyone know if they permanently changed to the FT-60 in later kits and if so, why?

I have the Flo-Scan and 50600 appears to be close, at least for me. The K-factor for the FT-60 may be different.

Hi Joe

I think we mostly feel 50000 is a good starting point. Not sure we have decided there is an absolute best. We'll all have to see how we do, and average it out.

John Bender

I've fiddled with the K-factor in New Blue until it's just about perfect. I've got a demo flight tomorrow. So I'll see what value I have and post it then. Should be at least a good starting point for folks.

Stay tuned.

Thanks everyone. I have the FT-60 and whatever it is set to is way to high. I keep geting a warning that fuel flow is to high.

FT-60 or Flo-Scan

Mitch:

When your report your K factor back, can you also let us know whether you have the Flo-Scan or the FT-60? It appears the values are very different depending upon which is installed.

Thanks!

The transducer in New Blue is the Flo-Scan. The K-factor is 46,100. The reading bewteen the fuel computer and the float readout stays with .2 gallons. That's close enoiugh for me.

D180 wiring problems

We're all ready to go but we've got some issues with the fuel calibration in that we can't get a reading on the fuel gauges. Does anyone know the CORRECT wiring on the 37 pin connector? We contact Steinair and discovered that pin 23 was supposed to have a wire in it and an extra wire in another place.
any ideas?
thanks
Meade and George

Hey Meade

Just in case. I had a problem early with the fuel gauge reading. Found out I did such a good job with the 'goooo' on the sender, it was not making ground with the tank. Check that if you are getting no reading. A cheap VOM will do that.

John Bender