sglynn

Well Known Member
Anyone have this issue and find solution.

I'm merely connecting a Dynon D6 to the remote compass. But the D6 gives an error message saying "Remote Compass Not Detected." I have checked and double checked the 4 wire connection. Cable is about 20 feet long. Remote compass is tilted down about 7 degrees to match the tilt of the D6 in the panel.

Ideas?

Someone else reported a similar problem here. Turned out to be a ?weak? (malfunctioning) RS-232 module.
I don?t think you want to tip the magnetic sensor. Check with Dynon.

Someone else reported a similar problem here. Turned out to be a ?weak? (malfunctioning) RS-232 module.
I don?t think you want to tip the magnetic sensor. Check with Dynon.

If that's the case - a weak RS-232 module - then try a temporary test with a much shorter cable. :)

RS 232

On this same panel, the Garmin 430 is say, "not receiving data on RS232 channal1. Is this related?

D6 still doesn't recognize compass

I tried swapping the data wires for the Tx vs RX issue, but no difference.
I measured 16.8 Volts going into the compass on pin 6 from the D6.
I verified the ground is ground.

Any other ideas? Is there a reset on the D6? When it starts it doesn't look like it makes any attempt to detect an attached compass. It just pops up with error message.

Just a thought, any chance you are using an older magnetometer from an early D10 efis?
The 9 pin connectors on later D10A / D6 (current) magnetometers are wired differently.

Sending it to Dynon

Dynon called, I'm sending the two units to them to fix.
It does have a calibration setup done later with a compass rose, but that's after the D6 and compass are talking to each other.

UPDATE: April 24, 2018 Dynon fixed the D6 and Remote Compass and sent them back. There were internal issues. Everything works fine now.

Last edited: