Charles C

Well Known Member
I have a Dynon D180 in my RV-7A and have a question about the Slip/Skid ball on the bottom of the display. This picture below shows the Slip/Skid ball to the right of the center line as it sits on the ground. I have looked at several pictures and all show it centered when on the ground. Also when I am flying it is still to the right side of the center portion and when I try and bring it back center I feel that I am way out of trim. As I fly straight and center with the ball to the right, I feel that I am flying straight with the plane not out of trim. I have looked at the manual and have not found any adjustment in the settings to bring it centered.

I plan on calling Dynon when I go out the airport but thought I would ask the question here if it comes out to be something simple. I did not build the plane so I am not sure where the Dynon gets the information for the Slip/Skid Ball and that it might come from a peripheral device that is installed in the plane. So any suggestions would be helpful.

I also notice that the horizon shows a little attitude high and left hand turn too.

20141111_1219111_zps29693ec7.jpg.html

That looks to me like the internal AHRS is off. The only remote item is the magnetometer. If you are sure the instrument is level in the panel, then there is likely a need to send it back to Dynon for an AHRS fix. That is way out, so I doubt it's just not level with the panel. You would know if that were the case. I haven't seen this problem before, but it almost has to be the AHRS.

Charles, two points: First, the horizon is adjustable for pitch. Press "menu" then, more, more until you reach the "set horizon" or something similar, in flight.

Secondly, have you placed a small bubble level on top of the D-180 to ensure that it is in fact level? (on the ground as well as in flight?)

Best,