n468ac

Well Known Member
I did some flight testing this weekend to find out how the new Dynon D10A and GRT HX would behave with a test we flew with the original Dynon D10 during our testing phase.
The test is simple? make a steady right (and then left) turn pulling 2 G?s for 1200 Degs (a little more than three turns) ? then come right out of the 2G turn into a left roll (or right roll if going left). Come out of the final roll wings level in roll and pitch (must be a VFR day with a good horizon). This is like you are in a grave yard spiral.
The goal is to make the rate sensors stabilize (kind of like your inner ear) then abruptly make another turn into the other direction and see what happens to the EFIS.
The old Dynon D10 would come out of this maneuver showing 10 Deg nose high and a 5 Deg bank toward the roll for about a count of 5.
The new Dynon D10A now follows this maneuver dead on and at the end shows 1 Deg nose low for a count of 5.
The new GRT HX also follows this maneuver dead on and at the end shows 3 Deg nose high for a count of 8.

I?m very happy with this result and give both Dynon and Grand Rapids a round of applause. As both units were able to follow me over and over though roll after roll up to my maximum roll rate.

How did you determine that the EFIS's were 1 deg nose low and 3 deg nose high? These small angles seem almost unmeasurable.

Tom
RV-7A N175TJ Flying

How did you determine that the EFIS's were 1 deg nose low and 3 deg nose high? These small angles seem almost unmeasurable.

Tom
RV-7A N175TJ Flying

After rolling level with the horizon I turned on the autopilot with heading and alt hold on. I also tried each EFIS by it's self, by aligning to it after the roll, with the Dynon I picked up speed (as i saw with the autopilot showing me not climbing) and the GRT I slowed down. That IMO confirmed what i was seeing.

Screen shots

Do you happen to have any screen shots of your GRT, particularly split screen? The ones on their website aren't very good and I'm split right now between going with a single 8.4 AFS, a single 8.4 GRT, or two 6.4 GRT. I love the AFS display, but don't know if worth extra money. Nice job on the Dynon/GRT stuff, very reassuring, thanks

jeff

No, i'm sorry I dont' ... maybe this weekend we will get back in the air and I can get some. We moved to a new hanger last weekend but it was SOO COLD up here in the midwest, we just got everything moved and nothing put away.

:)