vbpiper

Well Known Member
I am getting to the point where I need to start thinking about buying my Dynon D10A (finally). I have also come to realize that at least a single-axis autopilot would be nice. Wouldn't it be great if Dynon's products would include an autopilot? Maybe even a two-axis system? :D
Anyone using just a single-axis autopilot? It seems that most posts I see favor the two-axis.

Last edited:
I am getting to the point where I need to start thinking about buying my Dynon D10A (finally). I have also come to realize that at least a single-axis autopilot would be nice. Wouldn't it be great if Dynon's products would include an autopilot? Maybe even a two-axis system? ;)

Might be great if you don't mind losing your autopilot the same time your EFIS goes belly up........ ;)

VFR only

Sam,
Since I am a VFR-only kind of guy, I think I would use the autopilot only for brief periods on cross-countries (getting a drink, folding charts, etc.) Realistically, I would be interested in seeing some data on the reliability of the Dynon unit itself (I would surely have the internal back-up battery).

Sam,
Since I am a VFR-only kind of guy, I think I would use the autopilot only for brief periods on cross-countries (getting a drink, folding charts, etc.) Realistically, I would be interested in seeing some data on the reliability of the Dynon unit itself (I would surely have the internal back-up battery).

Ward, if you will be operating your plane only in daylight VMC, it is my opinion you can use pretty much whatever instrumentation you wish without going to extreme measures to insure reliability. In daylight VMC we should be able to happily conclude a flight with no instrumentation.

The Dynon devices have an excellent field history, far more reliability than is necessary for VFR flight (see above).

Night VMC is another matter, and for night ops I would want backups on a level approaching that which is prudent for IFR operations.

I can tell you with considerable confidence that once you begin using an autopilot you will have it engaged far more than you now anticipate. An autopilot is that addictive. :)

Last edited:
Dynon Autopilot at SnF

I am getting to the point where I need to start thinking about buying my Dynon D10A (finally). I have also come to realize that at least a single-axis autopilot would be nice. Wouldn't it be great if Dynon's products would include an autopilot? Maybe even a two-axis system? :D
Anyone using just a single-axis autopilot? It seems that most posts I see favor the two-axis.

I just attended the NW Aviation Trade show this weekend here in Washington and Dynon had a display set up. I was talking extensively with the Dynon folks since I am leaning that direction. When I asked about them coming out with an autopilot he told me that they hope to release their autopilot at SnF this year. Others asked if it would be comparable to a Trio or Tru Trak and he said yes, though he did say their servos at this time would not be compatible with the Dynon system.

I was also interested in a moving map capability and they are working on that as well but the engineering effort is weighted to getting the autopilot operational. I think he said they have some autopilots flying around as test beds. This seems like good news to me as I would not mind a system that is designed to be integrated. I don't think a failure of one EFIS would disable the autopilot, I plan to have a B/U EFIS in my design. I hope this helps.

Cheers

Thanks

Mike and Sam,
Thanks for the input. My panel is pretty much done. I have an altimeter and airspeed indicator installed and the Dynon planned, as well as a compass, and a handheld GPS hard-wired to the power, with batteries installed also. No other artificial horizon planned at this point. Nearly all (95%) of my flying I expect to be day VFR, but enough night time to stay safe, so I'm thinking the panel will be up to the task.
PS Sam, you have the coolest avatar!

I can tell you with considerable confidence that once you begin using an autopilot you will have it engaged far more than you now anticipate. An autopilot is that addictive. :)

And it should be! The use of auto-pilot allows you to take in much more distant scenery than in the past. It also allows you time to cross-check what you see with the sectionals for improved awareness. You'll probably notice more out the windscreen than ever before. Scan for other aircraft is also improved.

Perfect heading and altitude is also possible when transitioning Class B airspace. And even ATC will be impressed as you fly a perfect course, and have improved scanning abilities ...... to boot!

I seen a recent interview with a retired pilot, who got a chance to do some local mountain flying as a passenger this time around. He was surprised at all the great looking mountain scenery he could now get a better look at, because he was no longer the pilot. The A/P somewhat allows you to do this.

L.Adamson

Might be great if you don't mind losing your autopilot the same time your EFIS goes belly up........ ;)

Wouldn't it be nice if a whole second EFIS and dual axis autopilot was less than you'd pay today for just a dual-axis AP?

Hmmm, maybe we should do that. ;)

Ok now I'm drooling..:)

You guys at Dynon have produced some excellent gear, I love my D100 and D10EMS combo....In fact they have been the only units in my plane with a perfect reliability record...OK one radio and my GTX 327 equal that record..:)

Keep at it!

Frank

hummmmmm

You guys at Dynon have produced some excellent gear, I love my D100 and D10EMS combo....In fact they have been the only units in my plane with a perfect reliability record...OK one radio and my GTX 327 equal that record..:)

Keep at it!

Frank

I have been looking at the dynon 100, however I have not been able to see one in operation. When making a turn does the attitude line break up or does it stay even in the turn...?

What do you mean by "break up" in a turn? I'm not sure I understand.

Below is a screen capture of a D100. Everything on it is 100% real- nothing is faked, and it's pixel-for pixel accurate (assuming your browser doesn't resize it). The line on the screen never splits at any time, no matter what maneuver- it's always solid like it is in the picture. Does that answer your question?

d100%20straight%20on.jpg

Next generation ELT

:cool:Ok - Im pretty much sold on your DYNON products for my RV projects in the next few years.

Maybe this is a reach but have you guys at Dynon given any serious thought to developing a 'next generation' ELT? A lot of them will be sold in the next few years as you know. Thanks for the answer in advance.

Yo Dynon Support...

There are some interesting features on your screen above that are not explained on your website, as far as I can find...... :confused:
Can you elaborate on them for us?
Thanks!

Let me try..

....since my hangar mate has a D-180 in his -4 which I fly often. The pink horizontal bar up top is the 2 minute turn indicator and in this case, it's a little less than 2 min. The vertical bar on the left of the airspeed tape shows that you're accelerating. The pink bar to the right of the altitude tape is the vertical speed bar and it shows a climb here. On the center right, it shows an OAT of 33C and under that your density altitude (compare that to the actual altitude) and under that your TAS..neat huh? On the lower right, there is an arrow indicating winds aloft direction and under that, the wind speed...this derived from the GPS infeed to the Dynon.

Did this help a little?

Regards,

Thanks Pierre!

Also on the screen is a CDI indicating "TO", as the bar right above the ball. To the right of the center of the screen is the glideslope from your ILS receiver.

On the heading tape at the top, the green "V" is your course/OBS setting, and the magenta triangle is your current ground track from GPS. Put the ground track in the course line, and you'll be flying directly to your NAV source or the runway.

You forgot to mention the gizmo in the lower left corner. ;) The red and yellow "V"s over the green lines is the AOA display.