lr172

Well Known Member
I am installing a D100 EFIS (w/HS34) and it will be connected to a Garmin SL30 and King KLN-90B. I plan to use the HSI function of the D100. I also plan to connect my Trio to the D100 to get the data, as relayed from the Nav radios.

When I spoke with Trio, they indicated that Dynon would pass along the data to the A/P and I thought I read that here as well. When I spoke to Dynon, they said that the D100 would only relay the frequency information and nothing else. They said this was possible in the Skyview, but not the D100.

Has anyone tried this? Is there a way around it? I realize that I can bridge the RS-232 connections and use a separate switch. to connect the A/P. My problem is that the Trio folks say that they cannot take the feed directly from the KLN-90b. Something about data coming too rapidly.

Thanks for any insight you can provided.

Larry

Can you use the ARINC 429 instead of the rs-232 serial output from the KLN-90B to drive the Trio autopilot?

Can you use the ARINC 429 instead of the rs-232 serial output from the KLN-90B to drive the Trio autopilot?

I'm not entirely sure. That is the prefered method, as the AIRINC format has steering based commands for coupling approaches. I called the Trio gentleman and he said it doesn't work well because the KLN sends the messages too quiclly. I am guessing the processor on the Trio isn't powerfull enough to process them before the next group arrives. He seemed familiar with this issue.

Larry

Spoke to Trio again. The EZ Pilot doesn't have AIRINC interface unfortunately, only their higher end models. They said that the KLN-90 will send info on the RS-232 port, but the latency is high, causing oscillations. I am guessing King assumed that AIRINC would be used for A/P and didn't give enough processor priority to the RS-232 port.

Trio confirmed it will work, just a sub-optimal performance. In reviewing the Dynon messages, it won't support relaying what it learns from AIRINC to RS-232, which is what I was hoping to do. That only works in the Skyview system.

Thought I would post my findings for future readers.