Planecrazy232

Well Known Member
I posted this in the Dynon forum but they are probably are out for the weekend so if someone could shed some light on the issue below I would appreciate it.

I have a G396 and a D100. The HSI has always displayed the CDI as in the first photo below. I recently added the Dynon temp probe and at the same time updated the software on the D100 and EDC-10A to the latest version (from a very early 8 year old version).

My HSI seems to have lost the CDI as in the second photo.
What am I missing?

Also, do I need to recalibrate the compass after a software update?

Thanks for the help,

Anthony

I do not know if this is the problem or not, but the course is missing from the second photo. Is there a flight plan activated in the 396?

Be sure that the GPS is the active source. There are also some de-clutter toggles and I know one of them is course. I thought it was for the main EFIS presentation, but it may impact the HSI display.

I have the same arrangement and can confirm it works as in your first photo. I would guess one of the new features or your release set to a default and needs to be adjusted. I am sure Dynon will figure this out for you on Monday.

Larry

I have confirmed that gps is the source and cdi is turned on. What's interesting is the yellow pointer and lines disappear when I deactivate the route in the 396. When I activate the route, the yellow info reappears. No pink cdi info though. It's driving me nuts.

Last edited:
Is the Garmin serial output set to "normal" instead of "fast"? This is in the advanced settings for the serial output.

Is the Garmin serial output set to "normal" instead of "fast"? This is in the advanced settings for the serial output.

If this is in the Garmin unit the answer is I'm not sure. I know I didn't change any settings in the 396 but I'll check it. Is that a change that would need to be made after my software update in the D100?

Where in the Garmin do I check that?

The setting is in the GPS. Do the following. If I remember right, yes, first D100 firmware didn't need this, but later ones did. Been about 10 years!

Press Menu twice to ope the Main Menu
Use the ROCKER to select Setup from the vertical tab list
Select Interface from the row of tabs along the top
Highlight the field below Serial Data Format. Press Enter
Select NMEA In/NMEA Out. Press Enter
Press MENU to open the options menu. Select Advanced NMEA Setup and press enter.
Select Output Rate and change "Fast" to "Normal"

The setting is in the GPS. Do the following. If I remember right, yes, first D100 firmware didn't need this, but later ones did. Been about 10 years!

Press Menu twice to ope the Main Menu
Use the ROCKER to select Setup from the vertical tab list
Select Interface from the row of tabs along the top
Highlight the field below Serial Data Format. Press Enter
Select NMEA In/NMEA Out. Press Enter
Press MENU to open the options menu. Select Advanced NMEA Setup and press enter.
Select Output Rate and change "Fast" to "Normal"

THANK YOU THANK YOU!! The instructions above fixed the problem. What a great forum!!

My only other question is do I have to recalibrate the compass after doing an update?