My RV 6 has a D10A with the remote compass. This was all installed before I purchased the plane. I noticed the heading is way off from the mag compass. Like 40 degrees. Is there an easy way to realign the heading. I read the Dynon installation manual. Maybe the compass rose method?

Britt, my D-100 was also waaay off when I bought the airplane and gave crazy winds aloft reports as a result.

I flew over to Sandersville where they have a surveyed compass rose and it only took four headings, specified in the manual, with all my radios and transponder running. Voilaaaa..success and now very accurate headings and winds aloft.

If you're not near an accurate compass rose, find a forester. They usually have very accurate hand held compasses.

Best,

I recently installed a D10A in my -4 and calibrated the remote compass with the panel mounted compass using the process Pierre refers to in his post. I plan use my home airport's compass rose to get even better values, but have been too busy flying...

Good luck

I just calibrated mine using my Iphone as a compas rose. The GPS track during taxi verified it to be dead on.

If you have a slider, do the cal with the canopy closed. Some canopies, like mine, have quite a charge on them. Ask me how I know.

I did not perfrom the calibration sequence with the engine running, but the manual instructs you to do so. I plan to re-do mine with the engine running. After a few months of flying with the D10A, I find the remote compass agrees quite well with the GPS-generated compass rose on my moving map, but not very well with panel mounted compass. I suspect the panel-mounted compass is the offender, but won't know that for certain until I repeat the test using the compass rose at my airport.

A quick taxi in a straight line will give you a GPS track... Unless the wheels are crooked, your track and heading will be the same. Your compass should therefore agree with the track display.

Last edited:
Get a good hand held compass like this one:
iu

Take the plane out on the ramp, turn your prop blade straight up, and using the compass and it's sights, align the prop and VS in the correct cardinal direction, as described in the manual.

As others have said, close the canopy and turn on all the electronics.

Last edited: