9GT

Well Known Member
Patron
I choose a Dynon D-6 for my back-up EFIS. I'll be feeding GPS input from my G3X GDU-370. The Dynon wiring diagram has the GPS input spliced into the Dynon serial input 9 pin D-sub which goes to the Dynon pin #22 which is used for firmware updates but states that the GPS wire must be removed during updates. How should I do this? I don't want to pull the panel apart to remove the wire. Panel switch? Maybe I am over thinking this?

On my D10A, which is similar, I just ensure that my GPS is off during the update. It's worked so far.

You are over thinking this a bit. We've released software for the D6 a grand total of one time in over three years of selling it, so updates are very rare. I don't think you want a switch on the panel for that.

As Rob says, it almost always works with the GPS just turned off. However, it is possible for us to theorize that it would not work, or it would even damage the GPS if it were very poorly designed. Thus, we have to give guidance to disconnect. A simple way is just a faston or bullet connector somewhere you can get to it that is in the GPS serial line. Also, if you can get to the connector that plugs into the G3X easily (you can on a lot of tip-ups), you can just unplug that the one time every three years you need do do this.

Thank you. I'll just disconnect the GDU-370 if I ever need to update the D-6 then.