DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
Powered up my D180 today and about 1/3 of the screen on the right side was black. Tried power up and power down couple time but no change. Battery/ buss voltage is 12.0 with engine not running and 13.8 running. , Get same results on bus and internal battery. made a short flight to see if anything changed. Only change was that at several times entire screen would have horz lines but the right 1/3 never changed. Looks like a ship back to Dynon. Anyone ever experienced this before?

Screen failed

My D10A went totally black, sent it back to dynon for repair. The fix was a new inverter board that controls the backlight on the screen. Cost was $261.00. Also had the screen on my M-3 satloc ag guidance system go black the same problem cost was $450.00. Don't know if this is a weakness with glass screens or just bad luck.

Dennis,
The failure of 1/3 of the screen is a bit weird, but anything is possible.

We're closed today, but give us a call on Monday and we can get it fixed up. Free if it's under warranty (3 years) or a fixed price if it's older (I forget what a D180 is but under $400).

D 180

Actually it was less than 1/3 screen because I could see about 1/2 of the 1/3 EMS information and all 2/3 of the EFIS info. Data still looked OK. Noticed at one time during the short flight that the entire screen was dim with horiz lines and somewhat in quartered off pattern . The data was however still behind all of that except for the black portion. There was also a light streak from top to bottom at mid screen. ??? I;ll call you on Monday . Thanks. DRRhodes N908DR RV9

Almost sounds like a connector has come loose inside. If it's not under warranty, perhaps dynonsupport could talk you through taking the cover off and at least looking inside, before you spend a few C-notes on a replacement.

Actually, for a flight critical instrument, we'd prefer someone not open it up. We don't ever open up a EFIS at Dynon without re-calibrating it after we close it up. There are sensors inside that can be disturbed by taking it apart.

In this specific case, there is no connector that I can think of that could cause part of the screen to go like that. I promise I would tell if I thought that was possible!

Flickering Horizontal Lines

On a cross-country flight yesterday after about an hour I noted flickering horizontal lines across entire screen. Tried cycling power, no change. Data OK. After a couple hours at destination fired up to come home, worked perfectly. Anyone else seen this?

Last edited:
My D10A went totally black, sent it back to dynon for repair. The fix was a new inverter board that controls the backlight on the screen. Cost was $261.00. Also had the screen on my M-3 satloc ag guidance system go black the same problem cost was $450.00. Don't know if this is a weakness with glass screens or just bad luck.

I too have experienced the black screen of death on my D10A, and so has my neighbor. Same problem with the inverter board. However, Dynon told me this particular failure was "unheard of"... Apparently not so much. The experience has certainly caused me to reconsider this unit's utility as a primary or back up instrument.

John,
The flickering lines you describe don't have an obvious or known cause. The best guess would be a loose connector given that they stopped and now seem okay. Time, temperature, humidity may have allowed an iffy connection to heal itself. We can of course take a look at it here if wanted.

Michael,
Since we've sold over 10,000 of the D10/D100 series products over 11+ years now, there's almost no failure that is unheard of! If we said it, we shouldn't have. We have had a few backlight failures over those 10,000 units.

It does not appear that John has the same failure however, as a backlight inverter failure is basically always permanent, and leads to a dark screen, not one with horizontal lines.

--Ian Jordan
Dynon Avionics

I have seen flickers, in the past, on my D-180, but they affected the screen only momentarily. Then while airborne recently, the screen went almost blank with the display "ghost-like" and the instruments unreadable. This occurred at about 300 hours flight time. Returned unit to Dynon for non-warranty repair.
I had a previous failure at about 15 hours flight time. It was a frozen blue screen, which occurred on the ground. Returned to Dynon for warranty repair.